AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need advice for blue screen

Past couple of weeks I've been getting the blue screen of death on the HTPC. Windows7.

I have'nt made any hardware changes or additions for over six months.

I suspect crummie recorded TV quaility becauce previous to the BS the playback was distorted, skipping and basically unwatchable ( I use OTA antenna and when it rains hard some channels have very weak signal).

Note the top file name circled in red.

This was my first attemp to resolve this BS issuse was to look for the top file name then rename it OLD.

However there was no top file name. and I did observe a long string of zeros on the bottom.

The BS does'nt stay on very long is there a way I can retrive the last BS message to find these file names?

Next time I see the BS I will try a print screen/Paint/paste/save

This is the first time I've ever sean a BS, doe's this only happen to desktop type PCs?

Any helpfull advice is appreciated STB

·
Registered
174 Posts
you need to change the way windows handles the blue screen. there is a setting that you can change so the computer will not reboot on crash. this will allow you to view your blue screen. the blue screen can be cause by a lot of different things software or hardware. I would start by running a memory test to rule out bad ram.

could also be a failing hard drive or even a virus.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver  /t/1472955/need-advice-for-blue-screen#post_23322402

you need to change the way windows handles the blue screen. there is a setting that you can change so the computer will not reboot on crash. this will allow you to view your blue screen. the blue screen can be cause by a lot of different things software or hardware. I would start by running a memory test to rule out bad ram.

could also be a failing hard drive or even a virus.
OK how do I change this setting to prevent reboot.

I will try to be quick and save the BS screen shot.

will also check the RAM.

Thanks STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1472955/need-advice-for-blue-screen#post_23322442

According to Google spcmdron.sys is a rouge anti-virus program that you've installed. Looks like you were tricked with one of those fake virus warning screens. Good reason to not mix HTPC with other tasks.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8569154_rid-spcmdcomsys.html
Bryan actualley the spcmdron.sys is'nt on my BS it's from the example on the youtube even though the BS goe's away quick I still did'nt see the top filename.. I am real leary about downloading stuff, and this HTPC rarely is onnected to net.

Remember this is a prebuilt PC so I'm thinking they used second rate RAM any suggestions for a RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333 upgrade?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver  /t/1472955/need-advice-for-blue-screen#post_23322567

I was under the impression that image was not his actual blue screen but one he found on the web

Yes, I get that now. The OP isn't exactly simple to understand.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry for not being totalley detailed this BS issue is a total downer.

I will chech on the possiable RAM malfunction amoung other suggestions.

what to look for in RAM? I have 4 slots, and a capsity of 16GB. I have never purchased ram as a replacement just a added to RAM that allready exited in a lap top.
http://www.newegg.com/special/shellshocker.aspx?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL051613&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL051613-_-EMC-051613-Index-_-MECH-_-ShellShocker-L2B

These look kindof good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL051613&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL051613-_-EMC-051613-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20233180-L08C

Here's the spec's on my System Memory any suggestions would be a help.

http://panam.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2010/acer/aspire/AspireM3910/AspireM3910sp2.shtml

Thanks STB

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Simple and free RAM check... your PC probably has two RAM DIMMS installed. Remove one and see how your system performs. If you still get a blue screen then swap it with the one you removed. If the blue screen goes away then you know which stick was bad. If you still get the blue screen then it isn't a RAM issue.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK thanks Bryon on testing procedure.

yes the are only two RAM modules.

still waiting on suggestions on new RAM.

Thanks STB

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Don't get new RAM unless what you have is bad. My HTPC only has 4 GB and it does just fine.

·
Registered
823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017  /t/1472955/need-advice-for-blue-screen#post_23323455

Download WhoCrashed . It'll give you some info on the last time Windows crashed.

And if it is ultimately confirmed that the system blue screens are indeed the result of software (not hardware), then maybe try rolling back your system to an earlier state with Windows Restore Points, which is available in Windows 7. If you have a full backup image of your system partition that was made with Norton Ghost, Acronis, or the like -- created before the blue screen incidences began -- that would be even better.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The whocrashed site is very informative.

To start w/ I plan to update drivers,virus & sys. scan, CHKDSK check mememory w/ at startup press F8 (then Bryans suggestion physically remove hardware.).

sys restore point prior to dissconnecting electrical power to house 2 weeks ago. ? when I do this restore will it erase the recorded TV from last 2 weeks?

I think I created this BS error message myself couple of weeks ago I had to repair a 220Volt circuit for my clothes dryer, which involved switching all the breakers to off (none of the circuits where labled).

basically cutting the power to intire house, I actualley had to do this serval times over a few days and I believe the PC was in sleep mode.

I read this. and am thinking I could have possiabley ruined the external HDD which is connected w/ USB cable.

Cause

This issue occurs because of a race condition in the USB Video driver when a USB video device is unloaded.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979538

edit:What do you Guy's think about my suspections crummie recorded TV quaility becauce previous to the BS the playback was distorted, skipping and basically unwatchable ( I use OTA antenna and when it rains hard some channels have very weak signal). good quaility recordings never crash the PC.

I will report back w/ results however this BS doe'snt occur on a regular basis.

Thanks Guy's for the surport

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler  /t/1472955/need-advice-for-blue-screen#post_23323509

And if it is ultimately confirmed that the system blue screens are indeed the result of software (not hardware), then maybe try rolling back your system to an earlier state with Windows Restore Points, which is available in Windows 7. If you have a full backup image of your system partition that was made with Norton Ghost, Acronis, or the like -- created before the blue screen incidences began -- that would be even better.
when doing a restore prior to the BS point in time will the recorded TV shows be earased during the restore point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver  /t/1472955/need-advice-for-blue-screen#post_23326179

did you download and run the who crashed program?no not yet if so what are your findings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000  /t/1472955/need-advice-for-blue-screen#post_23326203

If your display is going wonky before the crash it could be a video card error. Do you have a discrete card installed? Check your temps under load and report back.
no video card..I'm suspecting corrupted recording. Still waiting for the next BS mesage so I can see the error filename.

as far as Temps.

I have never had issues w/ sys. temps.

here's what it usalley is

at full load it will increase to 35 I think celcius. and sys temp will be around 105 fernhieght

Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows 7

used this procedure
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff700221.aspx

Click Start, type mdsched.exe in the Search box, and then press Enter.

besides no errors in yellow print (on status page). after windows restarted I never saw the results.

this mite be a better procedure
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

Thanks STB

1 - 20 of 37 Posts