AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm from Australia and I need to buy a new HD LCD TV. There is one restriction: the overall width cannot exceed 33 inches as it has to fit into a hand carved Rosewood cabinet.

What I want to know are the developments in LCD's, like built in features that come with the LCD. Obviously I want one that doesn't need a separate Set Top box. Also, do any come with some sort of recording feature?

So, basically, I need one with the speaker system below the screen, and with narrow borders around the screen, and very importantly, one that is reliable, and doesn't break down in a matter of months.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Your set will probably be a 32 inch set since the next standard size up is 37 and that will not fit your cabinet.

LCD has made many advances in picture quality. Better contrast, color, black levels and contrast. As far as features, the most universal feature on sets is 1080p resolution. Almost all of the sets now days are compatible with most cable systems and over the air signals.

As far as recording features, I don't know of any here in the States that have a DVR or other item like this built in. There are several models out there have DVD or Bluray built in, but these are not recordable options.

You will need to find a place in your area and take measurements to see if it will fit. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Unfortunately to fit in the cabinet, you will be limiting yourself to a 32" set. 37" sets are at least 36' wide.

The upside is that you won't have to spend a lot to get a good 32"... the downside is that you'll be missing out on the wow-factor you find in sets 40" and above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee /forum/post/16963302

Unfortunately to fit in the cabinet, you will be limiting yourself to a 32" set. 37" sets are at least 36' wide.

The upside is that you won't have to spend a lot to get a good 32"... the downside is that you'll be missing out on the wow-factor you find in sets 40" and above.

Many thanks. I live in a smallish apartment in Melbourne (compared with houses in America) and a 32" set is actually a lot larger than the old non HD, non digital Sony TV I bought 20 years ago and still working. So size is not an issue.

I am going into the city and compare prices and features and warranty periods this weekend. I'll probably finalise my decision after Aug 17 when I've done my homework.

Any recommendations on make and model please??

Think of me as a dummy who knows very little to nothing about HD televisions, OK?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I don't know if you guys have the same model numbers that we do here in the States, but I would highly recommend the Samsung LN32B650 or the Sony KDL-32XBR9. Either one of these would be excellent TVs and should serve you well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts