AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to add DVD-A playback and have been running into the problem of less and less players seemingly offering this.

I know I need HDMI for multi-channel "lossless" playback but am not sure if 1.0 HDMI is good enough. I have a AVR that can bitstream PCM over HDMI (Pioneer 918V).

Is the HK DVD-48 a good DVD player? Any pioneer player for cheap that is HDMI and can play DVD-A?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,764 Posts
Your AVR should be fine. You don't really need HDMI to get DVD-A if you're willing to deal with 5.1 multi-ch analog connections. All DVD-A needs is PCM over HDMI which your AVR already supports.

Pioneer Elite DV-48av is a good player (plays both DVD-A and SACD over HDMI) for HDMI connections. It's on sale for $99 at vanns.com (if it is still available). It support DSD over HDMI for SACD as well (HDMI 1.2) but your AVR does not support it. But you can still get converted PCM from SACDs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only need DVD-A because I have a PS3. So the DVD-A does not need 1.2 HDMI for multi-channel lossless? Really unwilling to mess with analog inputs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts