AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi - i have a idea or rather something i would like to try in the future - but not sure if this can work -

i would like to add a Tube amplifier to my current setup -

with out disconnecting everything else i have setup already -

i have a marantz 7002 - i have the pre outs connected to another amp. -- i have a sub. also - the dvd, two cd players etc. -

now i was thinking of adding a tube amplifier just for two channel music - but want to keep the current amp also connected to the 7002 for movies etc. -

i think my problem is with the speakers - i dont want to disconnect and reconnect them back and forth to each amp all the time -

i am not sure but - Do they make a speaker selector switch of some sort ? with banana plugs - where i can connect the speakers to the box and then output them to both amps - - so when i want to use the tube amp - i switch to that one - and leave everything else alone - and when watching movies - i can switch to the other amp and 7002 and leave the tube amp alone -

is this possible ? would anyone know if this can be done and what parts are needed ?

thanks -

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Sure, a speaker selector switch will do the trick, connected “backwards.” Typically with a speaker selector, a speaker connection goes from the amp to the selector’s input, then two or three pairs of speakers connect to the selector. What you’d do is connect your speakers to the input, and the two amps where the speakers would normally connect. The selectors typically have switches for Speakers 1, 2, etc., so that’s how you’d select the amp you want to use.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the selector switches are designed to use two or more pairs of speakers at the same time. So using it “backwards” like this, you could easily have both amps “on line” if both selector switches are engaged. This would short both amplifiers’ outputs together, and it could blow one or both of them.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

· Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a good idea - never though about using it backwards - but i though a speaker selector switch would allow me to use one set of speakers at a time - ?

i only have one set of speakers - and if i would get a Tube amplifier - it would be integrated - so i wont have to have it connected to my AVR - my amp which is connected to my pre outs of my AVR turns on only when i turn on my AVR -

i wont need to use the AVR with the integrated tube amp -

so the rest of the system could be off except for one cd player - which i have to change the power cord for that cd player on the power conditioner so it would have power all the time with out the AVR on -

its a matter of changing where i got the power cables plugged in my conditioner - right now - i have it set up where only the AVR has power - the rest is totally off -

once i turn on the AVR - everything else gets power and turns on - some after 5 secs -

so if my AVR is off - the other amp would be off also -

would this affect the amp even if its off ?

is there a speaker selector switch which only controls one set of speakers at a time ? or would they all do that as long as you dont push on the other buttons to allow the other sets to get power - ?

would you know any links to a decent switch with bananas on both ends ?

thanks -

· Registered
3,861 Posts

Quote:
thats a good idea - never though about using it backwards - but i though a speaker selector switch would allow me to use one set of speakers at a time - ?
Sure, they can do that, just the one(s) you switch on will play. But the main reason people use them (in their regular configuration) is to use multiple pairs at the same time.
Quote:
so if my AVR is off - the other amp would be off also -

would this affect the amp even if its off ?
I can't say for sure. It would be best to make just sure both amps were never switched on-line (via the selector) at the same time.
Quote:
is there a speaker selector switch which only controls one set of speakers at a time ?
I don't imagine there would be any use for such a thing - see first quote box.
Quote:
would you know any links to a decent switch with bananas on both ends ?
Can't say that I've ever seen one, but then I haven't seen every one that was ever made.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

· Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help - and if i ever do this - i would only keep one switch on at a time anyway - so only one amp is getting the feed - i would leave the other amp off also -

this was just an idea - been getting the itch to try a Tube amp - never had one - not sure if i will do this - but at least i think its very possible with the speaker switch -

every so often i get the itch to do something with my setup - sometimes its best to leave it alone

thanks -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.