Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello oh wonderous gurus of audio,

I need help choosing the right speaker system for my "semi-home theatre" living room. I have a limited budget to work with so I do not expect to be creating a top quality system... then again, I don't want it to sound like crap either.

I'm looking to build a 5.1 surround sound system to connecto to my Pioneer 1015TX Receiver. My budget is probably around $1000 for all 5 speakers and a subwoofer. The walls are pre-wired thanks to a mindful builder. I just need to figure out whether to go with in-wall speakers or not, and what brand/model to use for either decision.

I figured I would just use in-wall speakers but after doing some research I see that there are a lot of complications with using them...especially the ones that I can afford. Anything that's boxed in would be way out of my budget (such as Triads).

All of the speaker locations would be on outside walls except for the rear left, which shares a wall with a coat closet, so I'm not worried at all about sound bleeding through. I AM, however, worried about having audio that sounds different coming from each speaker, even if I bought the same speakers all the way around. If I stuff the area around the speakers with insulation will that be enough to prevent this?

To give you an idea of what kind of speakers I thought I could afford, I was looking at the Infinity CS60 ($180/pair) or Polk RC55i ($180/pair) or RC65i ($225/pair) from Crutchfield.

Also, all of the speakers, except for the center channel, would be located about 12" off the floor, since this is where the builder wired the speaker wire to. I figure so long as I position the tweaters to point to the couch in the middle-back of the room that it wouldn't be a problem. Does that seem reasonable or are they too low? Not sure if it matters but it's a 16' x 16' room and the couch sits in the middle back half of the room (surround speakers would be about 2' diagonally from the corners of the couch).

Now, the other option is to take a chunk of drywall out closer to the ceiling (for the rears only) and splice into the speaker cable that runs down the stud in the wall so that I could mount a bookshelf or onwall speaker out of the way of traffic patterns (since the rear left corner of the room is a passage way to/from the living room).

Given this information, can anyone make some suggestions? Do you think the in-wall setup would sound crappy and/or cost me a whole lot more than having the rears mounted on the walls and having the fronts on-stands?

I appreciate all who take the time to read this and offer feedback... Thank you!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'm not a big fan of in-wall speakers so I can't help much. However, I would recommend you checking out www.axiomaudio.com . You should be able to find a 5.1 setup for around the price you mentioned. Depending on where you live, you might find someone on the Axiom Auditioning in your area forum that would be willing to let you have a listen, that is all it took for me and I was sold. They also have a factory outlet where you can save an additional 10% on top of the 5% you get for ordering 5 or more speakers. They are still brand new, just may have very minor blemishes. Although I have yet to be able to find any problems with mine. good luck

Randy

Axiom M60's VP150 EP350 4-Qs8's

Denon 2805

Sanyo Z2 Projector

Panasonic S97S HDMI DVD

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did I mention this is my girlfriend's house? So the GAF is pretty important here.... so she's pretty decided on using in-wall speakers

$315 Polk RC85i front

$179 Polk RC55i surround

$159 Polk CS1 center

$299 Polk PSW12 subwoofer

$952 Total

Anyone have any major concerns with this setup?

I'll post a link to a diagram of the room tomorrow when my website is back up. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in a somewhat similar situation. We are moving to a new home and my "big" surrounds(Paradigm Titans) might not be moving to our new home. I have also been told by my better half that she'd like to see in-walls for the surrounds. I want to keep her as happy as possible when it comes to theater since she puts up with my passion for it. I'm not too keen on in-walls but am open to any input on a comparable replacement to my Titans. I have Phantoms in the front and would want to match the timbre all around.

TIA

·
Registered
145 Posts
Some of the folks on here are fans of the NXG PRO inwall speakers, and they can be found quite reasonable online. JD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.