AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the sub I'm using with my home theatre system, and need some advice.

The sub that I'm using right now is the 10" subwoofer from the Logitech Z5500 System,. Ya, I know it's not a true home theatre sub, but it has decent amount of power and worked well for me as I'm building up my system slowly. I'm using it with my Pioneer VSX-819 receiver, and tower & bookshelf speakers.

The main issues that I have with the Logitech sub is that

1) It sounds really muddy. When turned up the sub gets fairly loud, but the bass is not very crisp (this got a little better by lowering my Crossover to 80Hz from 100Hz, but not that much).

2) The sub is pretty flat until about 70 Hz, after which the frequency response drops sharply (verified this with SPL meter). The Logitech sub is rated at 188 W. RMS (10%THD, at 100hz), which makes it really loud around 80-100hz, but there is VERY LITTLE output in the 40-60Hz range or lower. I guess this is what's making it have a very 'one note bass' tone. Others have told me this is because the sub is tuned very high. I'm not familiar with sub tuning, what does this mean?

Given the inadequacies I'm unhappy with now in the Logitech sub, what are the specs and features that I should be looking for in purchasing a good Home Theatre Sub with a flat response down to at least 35Hz, and good clarity (since I use it mostly for Music).

Does anyone have any good recommendations (for 8" or 10" subs) under US$400?

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Bic V-1020

Bic V-80

Infinity PS-210

Though for your price range you could also get a decent 12" sub such as the Bic V-1220 or the Polk PSW-505.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I agree with Diamond. Why limit yourself to an 8" sub?

If i'm guessing correctly you probably don't want a large enclosure, so i would look at something like this:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

If you want to save some money though, you can't go wrong with the BIC V-1020 or 1220.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
People in this forum like the Premier Acoustics PA-120 (10") and the BIC F12 (12"). Both are at $250 or less (including shipping).

The Hsu STF-2 just went up to ~$390 and the eD A2-300 (another highly regarding subwoofer) just went up to $415.

The other choices listed previously are also good.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The STF-2 or A2-300 would be my pick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I currently have a JBL sat/sub system, but in process of upgrading to Klipsch due to discount. So, I guess the Klipsch XW-500d subwoofer is discontinued. Due to discount, still wanting to stick with Klipsch. Should I get 2 XW-300d (rated at 105 max db.), 2 RW-10d (rated at 112 max db.), or 2 RW-12d (rated at 116 max db.). The link is ( http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...3093%3b2275%3b ). I guess the question would be, if you had to choose, which 2 should I get? My room is 11' by 15', I like to feel the bass, but I want accuracy. I know there are better subs out there, but due to discount, I'm going to stay with Klipsch. Thanks for your suggestions ahead of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts