AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously interested in the Pioneer 4340HD, but unfortunately don't have any stores around that show it with DVD and HDTV inputs.

How do they look with those inputs?

The 3:3 feature (24 frame x3 to 72 Hz) is what got me drawn to this model, but does it really work well with DVD and LD? I'd really like to know since someone mentioned earlier that he doesn't use it because it tends to make the image flicker.

To me, getting the proper timing with the 24 frames, along with nice upscaling to 768 progressive, would be video heaven...but is it too good to be true? Someone mentioned that upscaling to 768 lines wasn't too great and I'd be better off with an EDTV plasma.

My wife is concerned about how SD content will look on it. Does it deal with that well (like the regular NBC and CBS channels through cable)?

A bit more about my taste: I'm considering this HD Pioneer and other brands' ALiS 42 inch models (SONY, Fujitsu) because the EDTV Panasonics' grid look was bothering me. Also 42 (or 43) is what I find to be the right size for our living room and budget (barring things like the SONY XBR).

Finally, are there any online stores you recommend? I'm finding lots of online stores with awesome prices, but I can't tell if they're reputable. Are there warranty issues when buying from online stores (like Fujitsu)?

Sorry for the flood of questions, but I'm new to this...and I'm finding the decision is pretty complicated.

Again, my main concerns are

0) picture quality

1) not having the grid look at 9 feet

2) quality of scaling with HDTV/DVD/SD inputs to 768 progressive

3) 3:3 working well

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

·
Registered
55 Posts
read my post about pulling the trigger on the Pioneer PDP4340HD...I researched the crap out of it...and the Hitachi 42HDT50, which was a close second....in my post, you'll see where to go

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There is no commercial version of the 4340 in the USA. The 433CMX is a previous generation, similar to 4330 technology.

I like the 4th gen Pioneers. Nice panels, great connectivity box. Spend some time in front of one under normal living room lighting - not harsh salesfloor lighting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.