AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for a advice on the HDD player that would be good for playback and backup and of those HUGE files from the CX560 recorded at the 1080p50. I tried 1 or 2 of my friends but they do not handle those files. The best option I found is the external USB HDD connected to camera it self.

But I look for a solution that I could give to my parents, so they can play back our home/videos at their TV without giving them the actual camera.

Any one managed to get that working?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsherlock /forum/post/20768900

Hi,

I'm looking for a advice on the HDD player that would be good for playback and backup and of those HUGE files from the CX560 recorded at the 1080p50. I tried 1 or 2 of my friends but they do not handle those files. The best option I found is the external USB HDD connected to camera it self.

But I look for a solution that I could give to my parents, so they can play back our home/videos at their TV without giving them the actual camera.

Any one managed to get that working?

Try out a Dune
http://store.duneplayer.com/shop/

The one I am looking to get is the Dune Smart D1
http://store.duneplayer.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=8

My wife lost her job so it will have to wait for a bit but these play everything.

Just plug in any external HDD and you are good to go.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsherlock /forum/post/20768900

.....I'm looking for a advice on the HDD player that would be good for playback and backup and of those HUGE files from the CX560 recorded at the 1080p50.....But I look for a solution that I could give to my parents, so they can play back our home/videos at their TV without giving them the actual camera.

I am using a "WD TV Live Plus" by Western Digital. It takes any portable HDD, thumb drive or SD card reader that you can plug into its two USB ports. It has enough outputs to connect to high and low def TVs, but I'm guessing HDMI is best.

I was shopping for something simple for easy playback and couldn't find simple. There is a "WD TV Live" without the "Plus", but I couldn't find a local source when I had $100 burning a hole in my pocket. So, I bought the "Plus" version from Best Buy. "Plus" means it is loaded with internet features like Netflix or Pandora and it can be networked, etc.

I think it would work well for your parents. (I am a grandpa!) I haven't used it, but it has menu driven file management capabilities. Set it up on your parents TV with an HDD plugged into the back. Then, when you have a "parent appropriate" video you could put it on a thumb drive and copy it to their HDD on a visit. It is easy to make grandparents happy!

Seagate also has a media player that is similar. Both are meant to use their HDDs. Both seem to get good reviews on playback of videos. Both can get mixed reports on wi-fi, networking or internet issues, but that was not on my list of needs.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20769205

Try out a Dune. The one I am looking to get is the Dune Smart D1.

Steve,

I'm grinning here, but are you recommending something that you have not personally owned? Didn't you just scold someone for posting about a camcorder he didn't own? I really am grinning!

Best...

Bill

PS: Good luck to your wife. It is tough out there.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/20769937

Steve,

I'm grinning here, but are you recommending something that you have not personally owned? Didn't you just scold someone for posting about a camcorder he didn't own? I really am grinning!

Best...

Bill

PS: Good luck to your wife. It is tough out there.

I did say I was considering buying one. I did not act like I already owned one like the moppet in the other thread. If my wife hadn't lost her job I'd have a Dune sitting here right now. You can reccomend something you don't own. People do all the time. But I don't pretend to own it like the other guy did.

If the moppet had said he was going to buy XYZ and why that would have been ok with me. He doesn't even own a camcorder yet gives advice to people looking to buy one. I have a media player my PS3 and it is woefully inadequate for playing back 1080p60p files.

All I'm saying is look at the Dune and that I am planning on buying one.

That's not much of a reccomendation tho. I'm not quoting specs and performance and acting like I know everything about it from various threads and spec sheets.

I do like it and will be buying one when we get back on our feet.

AVSForum has it's own Dune thread and people who are interested can learn from the guys who do own one.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20771200

I don't pretend to own it like the other guy did.

I did not get the feeling he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20771200

All I'm saying is look at the Dune and that I am planning on buying one. That's not much of a reccomendation tho. I'm not quoting specs and performance and acting like I know everything about it from various threads and spec sheets.

So, have you tried 1080p60 files on the Dune, somewhere in a brick-and-mortar store maybe? How do you know they work?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20771538

I did not get the feeling he did.

So, have you tried 1080p60 files on the Dune, somewhere in a brick-and-mortar store maybe? How do you know they work?

I haven't tried it they don't sell it in a brick and mortar store. I am buying one based on reviews by other people. AVSForum has a thread on the Dune.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1270503

I know you like defending the moppets, but I never said i tried one I did post that I am going to get one and try it. Limited options You have Popcorn Hour and Dune and a handful of blu-ray players.

I know you are happy to jump on me because I suggested it without buying it forst. But I did state that I didn't own one and that is the difference between that kid you are defending and myself.

He acts like he owns one and all he does is read forums and reviews.

Now if he said he was going to buy one because he read in the forums or review sites that it was worth getting that is fine.

But he doesn't he acts like he has one.

You won't see the difference because you don't want to.

So let me leave you with a quote

"Just because some jackass asserts a thing does not mean that it is worthy of refutation. If the same guy tells you that every space shuttle launch perturbs the Earth's orbit, and that the cumulative effects are just about to start the process of the loss of the atmosphere into space, thus creating a vacuum that will destroy all life on the planet in approximately 36 hours, would you deem this necessary to refute? How much time would you spend explaining to him why this cannot happen? Would not your time be spent better doing other things?

And if you devise a concise explanation, why would you assume he would understand?"

-Mark Rippetoe

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20772989

I know you are happy to jump on me because I suggested it without buying it forst. But I did state that I didn't own one and that is the difference between that kid you are defending and myself.

He acts like he owns one and all he does is read forums and reviews.

Now if he said he was going to buy one because he read in the forums or review sites that it was worth getting that is fine.

But he doesn't he acts like he has one.

You won't see the difference because you don't want to.

Nah. I am not jumping on you. You jumped on him though, and rather tough. I thought this was unwarranted, despite that I myself can be blunt at times (at more than once when I thought that I knew for sure, it turned out that I was mistaken).

Thanks for the Dune link. I already have two media players, not sure whether I will be buying a third one. The thread is too long, maybe I will read it sometime later. Is it a multi-region player for both DVD and BD?

I should have bought PS3 instead of the stupid BD player.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/20774417

Nah. I am not jumping on you. You jumped on him though, and rather tough. I thought this was unwarranted, despite that I myself can be blunt at times (at more than once when I thought that I knew for sure, it turned out that I was mistaken).

Thanks for the Dune link. I already have two media players, not sure whether I will be buying a third one. The thread is too long, maybe I will read it sometime later. Is it a multi-region player for both DVD and BD?

I should have bought PS3 instead of the stupid BD player.

The reason I got after him was because he was misrepresenting himself. He also defended doing that.

Having an opinion is ok, but acting like you know everything based on reviews and spec sheets is BS. His I don't give a toss attitude kinda rubbed me as well.

The Dune thread is reallllly long and I've read a fair amount of it. The Dune looks like it will play anyything thrown at it. Looks like a lot of people use it to play backups of movies on it.

It supports high bitrates and damn near every file format and 60p kinda pushes the envelope of most blu-ray players.

I like the fact that you can stream to it from your PC as well.

Once I get one I will know for certain. The 2 big players are Dune and Popcorn Hour (PCH) the Dune Smart D1 doesn't have a blu-ray player in it it's just a media player. So i don't know about region encoding.

They do talk about a couple of programs that will strip out region encoding tho.

The PS3 is great for many things but it doesn't play nice with 60p video. But it's fun to play Portal on it when I'm not busy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.