AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so over the past 2 months, I've read these forums and figured out most of the things I needed to figure out. So now it's crunch time and I'm gearing up to purchase a TV this weekend. I'm not going to go into budgets or anything like that or discuss specific pricing but I wanted some other opinions. So here's the situation:

I've been looking at the 50" Panasonic PX80U and the Samsung 450 in the same size. Last night while looking at prices from various B&M stores (want to be able to bring it home the day I buy it so online is out at the moment) I noticed that one store had the 46" PZ80U for about $100 (keeping it within my budget) more than either of the 720p televisions.

So my main question is this if I go with the 46" television will I feel like I'm missing out on those 4" of screen even though I have the extra resolution? Or should I stick with my "plan A" and go with the larger screen but with a lower resolution? I personally think that I'll enjoy either set substantially but I would like to get the best bang for my buck and I do like those 50" screens.

Just to help people give an educated opinion: My seating distance is a maximum of 16ft (this is due to room layout and the TV and couch are on opposite corners of the room) so I know that both 46" and 50" are too small for optimum viewing of either 720p or 1080p but I'm coming from like a 36" CRT (I haven't measured it in a LONG time) that's close to 25 years old so any update is going to be better than what I have at the moment.

So what opinions does everyone/anyone have?

·
Registered
50 Posts
IMO if you're 8 feet or more away you will never see the difference between 720 and 1080

Get the bigger one, I have the 450 and I am happy with it. My chair is about 10 feet away.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
At 16' away I would save or whatever to get a 58" or 60" plasma. I sit 9' from my 50" and I wish I went bigger. Go as large as you can because this is a purchase you will have for many, many years. There is nothing worse than regretting the size of the TV you just spent a few thousand on. If you haven't jumped in yet a few more months of saving will definitely pay off over a much longer course of time. Wait for a 36 month no interest deal from BB or CC and go as large as you can.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 50PX80U is by far the best unit for under a grand that you will find. Lots of places sell for $899. This set gives an excellent picture, especially for sports.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15572572

My advice is do NOT buy a 720 TV. What in Gods name would you? I'm shocked those TV's are still around?

Panasonic is keeping them in the 09 lineup so folks can afford a new HDTV.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15572572

My advice is do NOT buy a 720 TV. What in Gods name would you? I'm shocked those TV's are still around?

The reason they are still around is that people want a low cost alternative

·
Registered
60 Posts
The newer 720p sets display a fine picture. Go and look for yourself. At your seating distance, there is no reason to spend the extra cash on a 1080p display if the 720p looks just as good to you (as it does to me at that distance).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought the Panasonic 50 in. 50PX80U about 2 weeks ago when it was on sale for a great price at Sears. So far, I can honestly say that it has not disappointed me. I came from a 60" 4x3 television so this a big difference for me, but I can honestly say not as bad as I thought it would be. Beautiful picture.

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDesforges /forum/post/15572840

The newer 720p sets display a fine picture. Go and look for yourself. At your seating distance, there is no reason to spend the extra cash on a 1080p display if the 720p looks just as good to you (as it does to me at that distance).

I've seen every single TV on the market. To me, there is a HUGE difference in picture quality, especially when playing Blu Ray movies. Why take a step backward when there are plenty of 1080P TV's for sale at really good prices.? It's like going into a store and buying a VCR when you can buy a DVD player? Save a bit more of your money and buy the right TV. In the long run you will be so much happier

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy4 /forum/post/15571736

The 50PX80U is by far the best unit for under a grand that you will find. Lots of places sell for $899. This set gives an excellent picture, especially for sports.

I couldn't agree more and in fact this is my HDTV of choice if I can find one in stock in my area (without having to drive to the other side of Houston). If I can't find this one in stock I will be getting 50" Samsung 450 series, since the general opinion seems to be next in line of order of acceptable plasma models.

I can't afford the Kuro, so it's out. This is my first HDTV purchase and I feel that the 2 sets I have pick out will give me a good bang for the buck no matter which one I go with. Plus I have limited funds to spend on a TV since I've got a baby on the way.

If anyone has any additional thoughts please keep them coming.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15572949

I've seen every single TV on the market. To me, there is a HUGE difference in picture quality, especially when playing Blu Ray movies. Why take a step backward when there are plenty of 1080P TV's for sale at really good prices.? It's like going into a store and buying a VCR when you can buy a DVD player? Save a bit more of your money and buy the right TV. In the long run you will be so much happier

I find that saying 1080p is a HUGE difference in picture quality kind of redundant because it's going to be better due to the that there are more pixels to add detail. This is like saying "A 9 Megapixel Camera has better picture quality than a 6 megapixel camera"

However, to answer your questions about why a 720p set: I'm choosing 720p for a couple of reasons

0.5) This is not the final TV I will purchase, this is essentially a "get me by" TV until I can afford a TV I really want. The almost 25 y/o CRT I currently have is on it's last leg and needs to be replaced. So with this fact in mind I also considered the following...

1) Price to screen size ratio. I can get a bigger screen for my money if I go with a 720p set

2) I watch A LOT of TV and most TV signals are 720p or 1080i depending on the station in question

3) While Blu-Ray is going to be a future purchase, I won't be getting it until late this year or early next year. So while it's something that will eventually happen it is not an immediate need. BTW, I've read that going from a 1080p signal to a 720p signal still shows a fantastic picture because it's making a big image larger so it's going to still look crisp. As crisp as full 1080? Of course not, but still crisp. So even when I do go Blu-Ray, that won't be a huge issue.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If purchasing a 50" set and smaller, 720p is fine. If you are purchasing a set bigger than 50" than you will need 1080p.

Lets keep in mind, the resolution alone does not determine a great picture, other factors come into play that will determine that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their opinions. Today I will be "pulling the trigger" on the Samsung PN50A460. I really wanted the Panasonic but after calling just about every store in my area this morning, no one seems to have it in stock and when they look at their system, they show it as "expired" or "deleted" which means they aren't getting anymore.

The Samsung isn't as good as the Panasonic but from what I read it's not a bad display. Either way, it's definitely better than the current ~25 year old CRT I've got.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoby /forum/post/15579194

I would like to thank everyone for their opinions. Today I will be "pulling the trigger" on the Samsung PN50A460. I really wanted the Panasonic but after calling just about every store in my area this morning, no one seems to have it in stock and when they look at their system, they show it as "expired" or "deleted" which means they aren't getting anymore.

The Samsung isn't as good as the Panasonic but from what I read it's not a bad display. Either way, it's definitely better than the current ~25 year old CRT I've got.

You really should take your time and become familiar with all of the makes and models in your size and price range. If you jump in quickly, you will probably make a decision that you will regret later, after you find out things that you don't know now. Personally, I recommend the Pioneer KUROs, especially the Elite models, as the very best. If you find them too pricey, go for the Panasonics. One factor to consider is how well the display scales different resolutions, and how free the unit is from artifacts. Most displays fall down in this area.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts