AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question first, then the story, in case you don't want to read the whole story. :)

How should one adjust a projector for the best life / minimal wear when working with a new or NOS set of tubes?

What provisions should be taken when the projector is used primarily for broadcast TV, especially with stations that include static logos?

---------------------

Ok, here's the story- I'm in an interesting situation.

I have my Ampro 2000HD permanently set up in my parents' house. Sitting here at college, I was having withdraw symptoms from not having a 3-tube wonder to watch/tweak... That is, until I stumbled upon a deal I could not pass by.

I picked up a GE Imager for next to nothing. After a few hours of work, I had it up and running, projecting on the wall (a screen is now being built), and after many many more hours, had it roughly converged. It's a video-only projector, but the image it makes looks *VERY* good, I assume because of the tubes.

The unit is a 1986 unit, but to my suprise, the tubes have ZERO wear! I'm talking, it looks like the tubes are BRAND NEW. They don't even have 4:3 wear in them! No wear, no burns, NOTHING. The tube face is perfectly even, from edge to edge. The set doesn't look retubed (that I can tell), and being a video-only, I doubt someone would have retubed it anyway, so I think they're originals.

Due to the room size constraints, the screen will be a 65" diagonal 4:3 screen, and will be primarily used for 4:3 TV sources, with occasional 16:9 movies. Probably ~4 hours of TV per day (maybe more with a big screen!), so figure about 1100 hours per year, and I'd need it for another 2 years at least. Lighting will be mostly controlled, however there are some street lights outside the windows that the blinds can't completely block. We might try some methods for reducing this.

The TV stations in question almost always have static logos. They would change from program to program, but there's probably 3 or 4 logos that would make up 95% of the viewing hours.

--

On one hand, I'm tempted to say- "Hey, the projector was cheap, it's not of the quality that I would use it in a serious home theater, so let her rip and give it everything it has for a few years."

But, on the other hand, I'm thinking - "Hey, cheap projectors come around, but most of them have serious burn/wear. Here you have a PERFECT set, be a little nice to them and keep them longer."

Any advice is appreciated!

- David

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
THese Zeniths never drove the tubes very hard, and there's limited adjustments on them, so use as is.

Just FYI, it's possible that the tubes can be flat or out of focus, if so, then they are shot, but let's hope for the best.

But funny enough, I just picked up a brand new in the box set of these tubes, and I'll sell them really cheap if you need them.

Curt

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Zenith? I thought the GE was an NEC :) Or is the zenith and NEC the same as well?

HMMM

well Im not sure about that model having g2 settings on the focus block but mabu in the meneu theres g2 settings. I would make sure the g2's are set correctly not driving the guns harder then they need be first and for most to prevent any tube burns or un wanted ware.

Really other then a good proper set up theres not a wholel ot to do other then not wactign too many hours of the same station with channel logos that can burn the corner of the tubes over time. But with only that many hours of TV per day I would say your OK. I myself do the same thing with my 1031Q.

It has new tubes and I try not to watch the same channel all day long or play games on my machine. I hear the phosphers on the sony are pretty hardy and can take more abuse then other PJ's but I still stick to the rules when it comes to potential burns.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Some were Panasonic, the majority of the GE video only units were Zenith.

Curt

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The truth is that pj has such a low value that you should use it at full capacity and use it as much as you want. Video only sets are easy as pie to find for next to nothing, and so are tubes and parts. I cannot cound how many I've seen for say $50.

I wouldn't even try to run it at low contrast to save the tubes.

If it was your dream pj, then maybe we would talk of how to stretch 20,000 hours from it.

Troy

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Still, this discussion is beneficial with anyone else with a CRT that is worth treating kindly. While he may not have to worry so much about it, im sure others would benefit(myself included) by a few ideas about how to get the most out of tubes. I've heard mentioned gray/white full-screen warm-ups, how/what does this do and is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys!

---

Curt- Even if they don't drive the tubes very hard, it appears as though they sacraficed a lot of raster area and made the image smaller as a crutch for not having a proper mechanical lens alignment. I fear that this will make them wear quicker (for an equivalent image brightness). Do you know how to adjust the image size on these projectors?

BTW: I don't really *need* them, since I have a very good set, but define "very cheap" for your set of tubes. :) Might be worth an investment.

---

Vic- Yep, most of them were NEC, but this is an OLD beast. :) I haven't found any other information other than what the forum here has told me, so I don't think GE used the Zenith projectors as a base for very many of their units.

How long have you been running your 1031Q in "TV mode"?

---

Troy- I do agree with you, but you also have to remember that not all $50 projectors show up in your area!! $50 across town is one thing, but if I bought a $50 projector from say, Curt, it would cost a LOT of money to get it here- much more than the projector was worth! If I was going to spend the money for shipping a projector, I'd spend a few hundred more and at least get a semi-decent projector. :)

BTW: where are all these cheap video only projectors? :D

---

ChrisWiggles- I've never heard anything special about what to display while warming up a projector, so that's new to me. It seems as though a white screen would contribute a lot to your 4:3 wear... I usually just watch a little TV to get mine warmed up, so I'd be interested to hear if there is anything else people do.

---

Again, thanks for the comments!

- David

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Well I guess you do have to be looking for projectors to find them, and that means looking in your area like you said... Auctions etc... Your college being your best source as you are there, and so are pj's, get to know the person in charge of surplus and you could find yourself knee deep in some amazing machines.

Well there are a ton of threads on how to make the tubes last much longer than typical, the simplest of which is light control as we all need anyway and then high gain screens. There are others, but I don't think white warmup screens are part of it in my opinion. If it's rated for 10k hours on a 1 gain screen (ok, give me slack with that) then you dramatically increase that with high gain screens. Ask xanatos just how low he has to drive his tubes to light up his 13 gain curved screen bright as a direct view set.

There are always trade offs though, but if you want extra hours, you can sure get them.

Just enjoy away, and I'll bet the pj dies long before the tubes do and I'll also bet you find another if you just talk to the people around your school.

Have fun enjoying it and don't worry one bit... that is my vote.

Troy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.