AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm ready to finalize my screen size. I got my stage semi-complete, at least enough to know how much room I have left from the stage to the ceiling as well as where the speakers will be located. I thought I'd be able to fit a 110" screen with a 3" frame, but now I'm having some doubts.

110" = 95.87" x 53.9" Screen 102.2" x 60.24" Frame
106" = 95.36" x 51.93" Screen 98.7" x 58.27" Frame

The seats are about 12.5' (I can move closer, but would like to avoid moving farther back) from the screen with the projector (Sony HW40ES) mounted at 15' on the ceiling.

Here are my concerns:

The top left corner of the frame would be right on the corner of the soffitt.
I'd have 11.75" from the stage to the bottom of the frame which should be enough for the 7.5" high center. I plan to tilt it either from right on the stage or a shelf.
If trying to place the bottom 1/3 of the screen at eye level (around 35"), it looks like I'll be 6" short.

I could maybe lower the screen a bit, but that would definitely not allow even a small sub in the future. Small subs are about 11.5" tall. This may or may not even be an issue if the ideal location for the sub is somewhere else. Also, if my stage construction isn't optimal, I may not even be able to place it there. So possibly a non-issue.

A 106" screen would reduce the frame height by ~2" and width by 3.5"

Thank you,
Adrian

Attachments

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Better still, tack up a white sheet or some photographer's backdrop paper, and check your placement and size with a decent image you can watch to see how it all looks...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put some tape on the wall for different size screens you are considering. Sit back and imagine. This worked for me.
Sorry, I left some information out. I masked out using black fabric to create the screen area for testing. I thought I had it set at 110" until I went to order and double checked it. It was actually 106". So I was sort of scrambling last minute :) I just redid the masking to create the 110" screen exactly how I diagrammed it out. Visually I don't see any issues. I have a good 10" from the edge of the screen to the LR speakers. The center speaker has plenty of room to be on a low profile tilted shelf on the stage. My concerns were more regarding possibly something else that I may not have considered with this configuration.

Thank you,
Adrian

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
You're on the right track. Screens are as simple as buying a tv. Just make sure it fits in the space and there are no obstructions from ALL of the seating positions. What screen are you looking at?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Jvoth has a good point. Screens aren't that cheap and upgrading is something you may never do. Make sure it's not too small or you may live with it a long time. I sit about the same distance back as you do and I put a 120" 2.35 Screen. It has never felt too small and I'll likely keep it forever.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Ok, so I'm ready to finalize my screen size. I got my stage semi-complete, at least enough to know how much room I have left from the stage to the ceiling as well as where the speakers will be located. I thought I'd be able to fit a 110" screen with a 3" frame, but now I'm having some doubts.

110" = 95.87" x 53.9" Screen 102.2" x 60.24" Frame
106" = 95.36" x 51.93" Screen 98.7" x 58.27" Frame

The seats are about 12.5' (I can move closer, but would like to avoid moving farther back) from the screen with the projector (Sony HW40ES) mounted at 15' on the ceiling.

Here are my concerns:

The top left corner of the frame would be right on the corner of the soffitt.
I'd have 11.75" from the stage to the bottom of the frame which should be enough for the 7.5" high center. I plan to tilt it either from right on the stage or a shelf.
If trying to place the bottom 1/3 of the screen at eye level (around 35"), it looks like I'll be 6" short.

I could maybe lower the screen a bit, but that would definitely not allow even a small sub in the future. Small subs are about 11.5" tall. This may or may not even be an issue if the ideal location for the sub is somewhere else. Also, if my stage construction isn't optimal, I may not even be able to place it there. So possibly a non-issue.

A 106" screen would reduce the frame height by ~2" and width by 3.5"

Thank you,
Adrian
Are the speakers showpieces ? Are you open to having all your speakers behind an AT screen ? An AT screen made from spandex is not expensive and your screen could go from stage to ceiling and wall to wall if you wanted -- a 160" screen. Remember that even with a 160" screen, a 2.40:1 movie is only going to be 58" tall with 10" black bars above and below the actual movie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after my testing I noticed something, while the screen size will be ok, I'll need to move it up a bit. When I put my feet up on the recliner, my feet block a bit of the bottom of the screen :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts