AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old NEC HT1000 that just burned through it's second bulb (maybe 3rd, I lost track).

I like the projector but wonder if a newer technology 1080p projector could be had on fleabay for about the same cost as a new bulb?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerfan /forum/post/19576903

I have an old NEC HT1000 that just burned through it's second bulb (maybe 3rd, I lost track).

I like the projector but wonder if a newer technology 1080p projector could be had on fleabay for about the same cost as a new bulb?

I just called NEC tech support and they said since I tried another old bulb I had laying around that it was probably the ballust and not the bulbs?

Anyone had experience working on these things?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes I suggest you looking at new projectors. How much is a new bulb? Would you consider a new projector if it involved paying a hundred dollar or two ontop of the price of a new bulb?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21
Yes I suggest you looking at new projectors. How much is a new bulb? Would you consider a new projector if it involved paying a hundred dollar or two ontop of the price of a new bulb?
Found a local guy that can fix it for less than $100 and get me a good bulb for less than $90. Says the bulb only has 400 hours on it. Otherwise, new bulbs for this pj are around $300. The more and more reading I'm doing it appears even the older pj's (like mine) will have more light and better picture than some of the cheaper "newer" pj's.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That makes sense if you're looking at really low end new units that are supposed to be for the average user. As a company it's all about expanding your market share by being able to sell to a more diversified consumer market with more segments. So instead of targeting projectors only to wealthy and niche market (a decade ago), now companies try to make it 'affordable' to anyone. It's all about making money. You just need to read between the lines hahaha. I said consider buying a new projector = meaning after doing proper research and comparison. I know it's extremely time consuming, but with ALL THE VARIETY in the market now it's difficult to distinguish what's good and what's not anymore. You can use information on AVS to help you start in the right path, but I never encourage users to take my opinion and go straight out and buy it. We will give you our opinion and so will every other enthusiast. But it will be very biased, so it's something you must keep in mind. Also, just because I think something is crap doesn't mean the next person will think the same, he might think it's the best thing he ever laid eyes on. This is applicable when it comes to judging color accuracy, out of box performance, and overall performance of a projector. So at the end of the day you really need to do your best to try to be able to get your hands on the device before purchasing it and assess the quality.

Hope that helps

By the way, unless you really know the 'local guy' don't take his word for it when he says the bulb only has 400 hours on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.