AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice...

I will be utilizing an older Crown XLS2000 amplifier on a pair of LaVoce SAF184.03 drivers in Mini-Marty (GSG) enclosures.

This amplifier does not have a "subsonic" (HPF high pass filter at approx. 20hz), but it does have an adjustable LPF.

My Denon AVR-X6500H receiver does the Audyessy XT32 with the optional MultiEQ editor app.

I do plan on ordering a UMIK-1 microphone and downloading the REW (Room EQ Wizard) software.

Do I need a miniDSP to better control the subwoofer response (via PEQ) and provide the subsonic filter or can I utilize an RCA "FMOD" high pass filter at 20hz like I have utilized in 12 volt applications with a ported subwoofer enclosure and tweak the XT32 for similar subwoofer response/control?

If I need the miniDSP, am I okay with the base 2x4 or do I need the 2x4 HD?

Which plug in do you recommend? I am assuming the 2x4 Advanced plug-in for the 2x4, but I am on information overload at this point.

Thank you for helping out a newbie!!

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
If all you want to do is apply a HPF, the MiniDSP may be overkill. However, the MiniDSP will allow you to do MUCH more than that and will undoubtedly improve your experience. Only you can decide if it is worth the $$$.

The MiniDSP HD is the preferred device and only comes with one plugin so no need to choose. ;)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If all you want to do is apply a HPF, the MiniDSP may be overkill. However, the MiniDSP will allow you to do MUCH more than that and will undoubtedly improve your experience. Only you can decide if it is worth the $$$.

The MiniDSP HD is the preferred device and only comes with one plugin so no need to choose. ;)
Thank you for your advice.

May I ask why the 2x4HD is preferred over the 2x4? I am trying to justify the additional $100.

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
Personally, I had many issues with the 2x4; not enough available delay (7.5ms), losing headroom, clipping. These were all fixed with the "HD".

Some folks have no issue with the regular 2x4, but I am not the only one I know that had issue with it. If you need more than 7.5ms of delay (about 8ft.), then the HD is a must.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts