AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to move, and am deciding what to do with my home theater. I have no problem moving my speakers, receiver, and devices, but my current display's box is gone. That means moving will be a hassle.

That display is an ISF-calibrated Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD.

Now, moving out of my home, I need to leave something in the living room, so I was thinking about getting a Panasonic PZ850 to fill in the gap for a family that cares far less about picture quality. But another option is for me to leave the Kuro at home, and get another display shipped directly to the new place.

So I've started to take a liking to LED's I've seen in person, particularly the Samsung LC55A950.

I realize that the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio probably doesn't mean much. But I have been pretty impressed with the viewing angles on the LED displays I've seen. I'm reading up on LED's a bit, but in broad strokes, what major advantages/disadvantages am I looking at if I decide to get the Samsung for myself over the Pioneer?

I guess in some ways, I'm looking for LED advice in general (i.e. are the Samsung's worth the price tags?).

· Registered
6,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatefodder /forum/post/16848994

I guess in some ways, I'm looking for LED advice in general (i.e. are the Samsung's worth the price tags?).

The age-old question, it is worth it?

That's like at least 50% subjective. I suppose if u have a Kuro, $ is not a major issue. As with any new technology, the first generation is always more expensive, like new cars. 2 years old cars are "Best Buys." I feel the same way with toys.

BUT if u GOTTA have the improved viewing angle, and waiting is not an appealing option, then I guess, hey u gotta do it right.

· Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:

I'm about to move, and am deciding what to do with my home theater. I have no problem moving my speakers, receiver, and devices, but my current display's box is gone. That means moving will be a hassle.

That display is an ISF-calibrated Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD.

Now, moving out of my home, I need to leave something in the living room, so I was thinking about getting a Panasonic PZ850 to fill in the gap for a family that cares far less about picture quality. But another option is for me to leave the Kuro at home, and get another display shipped directly to the new place.

So I've started to take a liking to LED's I've seen in person, particularly the Samsung LC55A950.

I realize that the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio probably doesn't mean much. But I have been pretty impressed with the viewing angles on the LED displays I've seen. I'm reading up on LED's a bit, but in broad strokes, what major advantages/disadvantages am I looking at if I decide to get the Samsung for myself over the Pioneer?

Have you checked into contracting with a company to package it and ship it for you? Just make sure it's well insured and you're good to go and most likely much cheaper than leaving a set at your old home and purchasing a new one.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have to either:

(1) Move my Kuro and replace it with something.

(2) Leave the Kuro and purchase something for the new place.

If I do (1) then what I replace it with barely matters. It's case (2) I'm talking about, where if I get something new, I would want something of great quality if it's out there (short of getting another Kuro).

· Registered
3,140 Posts
If you do not plan on going back to the previous home (not sure what the circumstance is), I would definitely take the Kuro and replace with another brand. The Samsung LED is a newer technology (in a matter of speaking) and doesn't have the Pioneer picture quality. I've seen the new Samsungs too but they are definitely not a Kuro.

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
I guess I don't really understand the circumstances... but nobody ever left me a TV when I bought a house.

· Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:

How far are you moving?

Unless its across country, moving the kuro should not be too bad. And like another member said, you can hire someone to move it for you. Much cheaper than the thousands you will spend buying a new tv.

Quote:

I realize that the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio probably doesn't mean much.

It doesn't. That contrast ratio is just a trumped up number for marketing purposes.

Quote:

But I have been pretty impressed with the viewing angles on the LED displays I've seen.

Your coming from an ISF calibrated Elite Kuro Plasma and you are impressed with the viewing angles of the LED LCD's??

The reason I ask is because thats usually one of the biggest complaints with LED LCD's. They have worse viewing angles than conventional LCD's and far worse than plasma. You can notice a significant image quality drop from simply moving one seat cushion over on your couch.

Quote:

I'm reading up on LED's a bit, but in broad strokes, what major advantages/disadvantages am I looking at if I decide to get the Samsung for myself over the Pioneer?

When it comes to color accuracy, both are so good that our eye wont be able to tell a difference. But the Pioneer still wins the color accuracy battle because it can hold its colors at every angle. The 950's colors fade to dull and lifeless when you move off center.

When it comes to motion, there are variables.

If you like interpolation and soapy motion and the artificially enhansed home video look of AMP, then you might like the 950s motion better. If you don't like AMP or interpolation artifacts, and plan on leaving AMP off, then the motion on the 950 will be very bad and blurry.

But if you like natural motion that maintains the film quality and doesn't look so artificially enhansed, then you will definitly like the kuro better. Plasma naturally do much better with motion.

When it comes to contrast and Black levels, The kuro will look better in most cases. the exception is when there is nothing on the screen or a mostly dark scene.

When it comes to actual video content with mixed contrast, the backlighting of the 950's LED's will bleed over into the areas of the picture that are supposed to be black. they will appear grey. This problem is called blooming and is due to there being so many more pixels than led's.

But even with the blooming problems, the 950 has great blacks for an LCD and is a step in the right direction.

When it comes to heavy lighted areas/rooms, it can differ some but the kuro wins IMO.

The phosphor on the pixels of the kuro will reflect when its being hit with direct sunlight or in a room with a huge amount of light. The kuro works best in rooms with normal-to-low lighting. but the Kuro has a superb anti-reflective coat on the glass

The 950 will maintain its blacklevel better because the pixels don't reflect like the kuro. However, the 950's "ultraclearPanel" is probably the most relective panels on earth. So in rooms with heavy light, the 950 will look like a mirror and give problems. Maintaining blacks don't mean much when the glass is reflecting like a mirror.

Quote:

(i.e. are the Samsung's worth the price tags?).

IMO, No they are not. But opinions vary depending on circumstances for people.

· Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatefodder /forum/post/16849674

Ah, currently living at home with parents and family. Moving out, leaving something behind.

I'm guessing it's your parents TV? If not it's pretty foolish to spend thousands of your money when it costs a few hundred to move it. You sound like you are looking for excuses to get a new TV. Any TV other than a 9g elite or a 500M/600M will be a downgrade.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Dont fall for the "led" tvs, its just an lcd with either local dimming (A950 series) or with leds in the front of the screen ( 6000/7000 series that are super thin)

In terms of Picture Quality plasma still stays at up therefore I will take a pioneer or a pansonic plasma over an lcd, as far as lcd goes which i see no reason to get lcd but if i had to get one i would get the sharp Xs1 or the sony xbr8 and last samsung a950

not the cheapest price wise

· Registered
2,063 Posts
Why sharp over Sony? From what I've read about the Sharp set it sounds if anything inferior to the XBR8 and A950. I'd wait for Samsung's new model before getting any kind of LED LCD if that's what he's interested in.

If on a budget LGs new LH90 looks sweet, local dimming under 2k, not as peforming as Samsung or Sony but very promising price wise and still a decent performer.

As for plasma Samsung over Panasonic, hell even D-Nice said the same thing at the shootout and his opinion is worth much more than the owner/fanboy Panasonic lovers that post here. Pioneer for most people is not an option anymore as they are getting extremely difficult to find.

· Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. /forum/post/16873865

Why sharp over Sony? From what I've read about the Sharp set it sounds if anything inferior to the XBR8 and A950. I'd wait for Samsung's new model before getting any kind of LED LCD if that's what he's interested in.

If on a budget LGs new LH90 looks sweet, local dimming under 2k, not as peforming as Samsung or Sony but very promising price wise and still a decent performer.

As for plasma Samsung over Panasonic, hell even D-Nice said the same thing at the shootout and his opinion is worth much more than the owner/fanboy Panasonic lovers that post here. Pioneer for most people is not an option anymore as they are getting extremely difficult to find.

I would definitly agree.

Samsung and Sony LCD's are far above Sharp LCD's.

Although the XS1 is a decent LCD, Its still a sharp unfortunatly.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Yes a sharp isn't the best but the xs1 would be one lcd to consider xbr8 and a950 are just priced up there with the higher end sets, in which case either way i wouldnt advice people to get lcd unless they MUST if they live in a house with noting but windows and no blinds.

Nothing beats the kuro, if performance mode or optimum mode is not bright enough then he can actiavte isfccc mode to get more brighter without cliping whites or crushing shadow detail. something led lcd does

· Registered
93 Posts
obviously the kuro isnt doing it for you... or else you'd take it in a heartbeat.

go ahead and get an LED im sure they are brighter than plasmas and are more what your looking for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.