AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to have a first set up and start for now with 2 bookshelves and 1 center channel maybe a subwoofer or add subwoofer and rear channels later

i tried out the klipsch r15m they seemed good, but now i am told the reference 2 series is better even thought the r15m`s look better

seems like the kef c3, diamond 10.1 are in same price range what do you guys recommend?

i am looking to get speakers to listen to music (house-rap-dance-some classical but mostly those) and for movies, tv and gaming

please i would like some suggestions on speakers that are not taller then 12.5 inches thanks

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I think you would definitely be getting a good speaker with the R15M, and I agree, I think the lower budget Reference line looks better than the Reference II line, though not better than the new Reference Premiere line. However, the RB51II is a step up in drivers and maybe the crossover as well. I haven't heard the RB51s myself, so I can't say if they sound better. They both cost the same right now. If you could find it in your budget to spend 100 more dollars, the RB611IIs would be a step up and provide more low end and thereby a fuller sound. You could even try contacting a Klipsch dealer like Acoustic Sound Design or Sound Distributors to see if there is any way to get a better deal on them.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
And I just looked and saw the Diamond 10.1 is 300 right now on Amazon, so you'd only be spending 50 more for the RB61IIs, maybe less if you can find a deal.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Check out the KEF Q100, EMP E5Bi, Wavecrest HVL-1, and Ascend CBM-170 SE.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
With speakers, it's all subjective. Everyone has their preferences, and so I can't really say one is better than the other because it doesn't translate to your ears.

I personally dislike the Klipsch sound because it is too bright for me. This means the high frequencies are over emphasized, and it sounds fatiguing to my ears. I would target something more neutral, I think the KEF have a nice lively sound that isn't too far forward, and the Wharfedale are a bit more laid back.

The Ascend CBM-170 would be a good choice because they are very neutral and will appeal to the widest audience. They don't look like much, but the sound quality is exceptional.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
The Ascend CBM-170 would be a good choice because they are very neutral and will appeal to the widest audience. They don't look like much, but the sound quality is exceptional.
Add the NHT SuperOne to the above characteristics except that they look really high end with their deep piano black finish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok im pretty much stuck going for kef q100 and q200c which will cost me 705 together or klipsch r15m and r25c which is 444 or

kef q100
kef q200c
total cost 705

klipsch r15m
klipsch r25c
total cost 444

klipsch RB-51 II
klipsch RC-52 II
total cost 457

the reference series looks better then ref 2 but im told ref 2 sounds alot better

or should i get kef for 300 more? is it worth it?

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Theres a guy selling the KEF Q100 and Q200c in Cherry for $500 shipped in the AVS classifieds. Thats a really good deal for the three speakers if you like the Cherry.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Looking to have a first set up and start for now with 2 bookshelves and 1 center channel maybe a subwoofer or add subwoofer and rear channels later

i tried out the klipsch r15m they seemed good, but now i am told the reference 2 series is better even thought the r15m`s look better

seems like the kef c3, diamond 10.1 are in same price range what do you guys recommend?

i am looking to get speakers to listen to music (house-rap-dance-some classical but mostly those) and for movies, tv and gaming

please i would like some suggestions on speakers that are not taller then 12.5 inches thanks
There are several interesting speakers that have been mentioned, including those on your list. Unfortunately, the EMP Tek R5Bi's are 12-3/4 inches high so they probably won't work for you. Because of your height restriction, I assume you will be placing bookshelf speakers inside a bookshelf :(. If that is the case, make sure the front face of your speakers overhang the shelf about an inch or so.

The important thing is to create your list, then go out and audition as many as you can. If you purchase from an I.D. company, make sure you know their return shipping policy (home auditions are the best way to audition). As Transmaniacon stated, speaker preference is subjective (and highly so). For those speakers you can't audition in your home, I'd advise you to audition those speakers that interest you more than once. Often, second and third auditions can change one's mind about a speaker (good or bad).

I will assume you already have an AVR. Buying in stages is a good idea. After purchasing your main speakers, I'd add a good subwoofer, then the center channel, and finally the rears. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i havent gotten an avr yet i am leaning towards the onkyo nr636 even thought i wont have more the a 5.1

unless you guys have suggestions on what else i can get for same price with same features

also out of what i selected which would work best for house music/rap/movies

will my ears even hear the difference?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Get the AVR that you want and has the features you are looking for, but in the overall scheme of things the AVR shouldn't be more than 25 to 30 percent of your total budget (spend most of your money on the speakers and sub). Many prefer Denon or Marantz because of Audyssey, but I'm sure any management system can setup your speakers and sub.

A good speaker should be able to reproduce any type of music, so it is a matter of which sound signature you prefer. And yes, your ears will hear a difference and is the reason auditioning is so important. And don't be in a rush. Too many times people buy the first speakers that sound good, but after several months aren't as happy as they should be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts