AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry about the long post. i condensed this as much as possible.

i could use some help determining the best setup for my current speakers. i have paradigm studio 100's and cc in the front, titans in the rear, and a boston acoustics pv600 sub. i plan to add studio 20s/40s in the rear and a bigger sub, but that won't happen for a while.

i've read that in most cases you want to set all your speakers in a 5.1 setup to small, and let the sub handle the bass. in my case it seems to me the 100's would do a better job than my current sub for all but the lowest frequencies. i currently have the 100's set to large, and the LFE set to both the mains and sub.

would you recommend i switch the mains to small, and if so, why?

if this is a good way to configure this system, i'm not sure the best way to crossover the sub. my first thought was to only make the sub handle the lowest of frequencies. but then it occured to me that since the sub would be responsible for bass that otherwise would be sent to the rears, if i set the crossover too low, i might loose some information. any thoughts on this?

any advice on how to tweak this setup would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well, I would say the only way is to actually experiment with all the possibilities you mentioned. Rely on your own ears. The speaker/room interaction is so complex and so drastically different from a room to another, that you cannot generalize one setup is best for you, even given fairly detailed descriptions.

As always, the THX setting (all speakers "small," with sub crossover at 80Hz) should give you a very good starting point, though...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.