AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first post, but I finally have a question that I can't fidn the answer to. Some friends of mine have recently decided to redo their finished basement. They already have the tv's, but the supplier doesn't really do much on the install end and when I went on the half finished tour this week it turns out the builder has no av knowledge at all. All they ran is a single RG6 drop at each of spots for the hdtv's. The people who own the house aren't big on av so they had no idea this was crap. If they wanted a integrated setup I am confident on what I would do, but all they are looking for is all 3 of the tv's to display 1 source as best as possible.

Equipment:

46" Sharp 46LE810UN (main tv)

37" Toshiba 37HL67 (gym room)

19" Samsung LN19C450 (bar tv... still trying to get them to go a bit larger here)

DirecTV H24 (I assume this is the reciever taht will be coming)

I just don't know my options for getting the HD from the direcTV box to all three tv as cheaply as possible while maintaining acceptable image quality. The run from the box is short and will be hdmi, but the 19" is a 30' run and the the 37" is roughly 60'.

Rough Drawing of basement and where things are:

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Cheapest possible with HD quality will be to get 2 more DirecTV HD receivers and use their SWM (single wire multiswitch) setup to put a receiver local at each set. Upgrade any of those boxes to DVR's, enable whole house networking (which will use the coax runs and existing splitters) and install DECA adapters if necessary, and they can watch any recorded content from any set...

But to build a distribution system, starting with that wiring, will be the ZeeVee box at around ~$700-800 to encode and modulate one HD channel.

EDIT: If they don't have DirecTV installed yet, they can add enough receivers (need 5 tuners, so like 2 DVRs and another receiver), and the system will automatically "upgrade" them to a SWM dish. Installer can do the DECA-based networking as well (H24 has it built in).

Jeff

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Considering the cost of adding new HDMI cables and splitters, and the problematic operation of such splitters, especially at the longer cable distances, then I agree with jautor, that adding a DirecTV receiver for each TV with their Whole House Connection option, with a least one DVR receiver, is the best way to go. It would take a long time before the additional cost of the extra receivers will exceed the cost of buying and installing the additional HDMI equipment. Having a separate receiver also allows each receiver to view a different channel, if desired.

I have such a setup with two receivers (one with DVR) and it works fairly well. My only complaint is that DVR fast forward has a noticeable delay when operated from the remote receiver. I figured it would take probably 3 years for the additional $8/mo this cost me ($5 for the receiver and $3 for the Whole House Option) to exceed the cost of the additional HDMI equipment to send the signal to my other receiver about 100' from the DVR (and that didn't include the HDMI cable installation whereas the DirecTV installation was free).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19531610

Cheapest possible with HD quality will be to get 2 more DirecTV HD receivers and use their SWM (single wire multiswitch) setup to put a receiver local at each set. Upgrade any of those boxes to DVR's, enable whole house networking (which will use the coax runs and existing splitters) and install DECA adapters if necessary, and they can watch any recorded content from any set...

But to build a distribution system, starting with that wiring, will be the ZeeVee box at around ~$700-800 to encode and modulate one HD channel.

EDIT: If they don't have DirecTV installed yet, they can add enough receivers (need 5 tuners, so like 2 DVRs and another receiver), and the system will automatically "upgrade" them to a SWM dish. Installer can do the DECA-based networking as well (H24 has it built in).

Jeff

If I could get them to see the light this is how I would do it, but the problem is their plans vs how much they will actually use the space means they will never need independent sources.

Since the DirecTV receiver feeds all of its outputs simultaneously I had thought of splitting and running the component feet to the two other tv's and using the coax run to an ota antenna so they could watch local channels separately. The only issue here is that it seems to be a coin toss on how well the signal will carry on the longer run.

I should clarify that at this stage I am able to make cabling changes, so the RG6 is not a limitation just what the builder thought was adequate.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baierman /forum/post/19532112

I should clarify that at this stage I am able to make cabling changes, so the RG6 is not a limitation just what the builder thought was adequate.

That changes things... You could use a component video (you said component, but with one RG6 I assume you meant composite) distribution amplifier along with some additional RG6 runs (5 total per TV) to split out the DirecTV's signal to all three devices. You could also run 2 cat5's to each set along with some component baluns instead of the 5xRG6. IMO you should absolutely run at least 2xCat5 for either solution as it will give them a lot of flexibility for the future.

With 30-60' runs, I don't think you'd have a problem with any of the component-to-cat5 baluns. And that would give them full HD picture quality (which composite will not do) without the additional receiver cost(s).

Jeff

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree that if you can readily add cables, then component runs with a powered component splitter, such as one of these , is the most reliable way to go. It won't carry 1080p but that's likely not a significant consideration in this application, especially since the difference between 1080i and 1080p is slight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts