Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My aunt and uncle have been bitten by the home theater bug.

They own an old pair of JBL L300 speakers that they recently had re-coned.

They also have a pair of ESS AMT LB speakers (also re-coned) that was used with a Heil Air Motion transformer system.

They don't want to sell their old classics, :) so they asked me what would be a good match for a center channel.

I have no idea what to recommend to them. I believe they purchased the speakers back in the 70's.

FYI: I have also recommended the Pioneer 1015 receiver to pair with them.

Craig

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clmrt. :)

I have joined the forum in the link. I just have not been allowed to post there yet. Maybe after a few hours.

Do you own these speakers?

Please... if anyone else has recommendations, please chime in. :)

Craig

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On top of an older 31 inch tv.

Although, they are talking about upgrading to an LCD/Plasma in a year or two, so things could change.

Craig

·
Registered
545 Posts
If that's the case, you might look for a conventional center with an adjustable tweeter, to help match the sound. Some adjustability will help.

Later, after the CRT thing disappears, maybe a third 300 ($$$). I'd say an L166, if that's the one that uses the slot tweet, can't remember right now. But the horn mid on that 300 will define the sound of the speaker more than the HF. HT will just have to be a compromise. Get the best center possible, I guess.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmrt
If that's the case, you might look for a conventional center with an adjustable tweeter, to help match the sound. Some adjustability will help.

....Get the best center possible, I guess.

Thanks Clmrt. I want to spend some time listening to the speakers and see what they sound like with my center channel which is a Rocket speaker known as the big foot center channel. I would categorize its sound as crisp.

We shall see.

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.