AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maynerd, I would look into the Mits WS xx857. I have the ws65857 with the Mits 500 receiver. Great picture in HD 1080. You can pick up a ws65857 for a little over 3k, without the receiver.

Just my recommdation.

John

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maynerd:
Ok guys, I am looking for an HDTV. I don't have a lot of money. Most of us work under some type of budget when we buy things and I am under that budget.

What are the most important things I should look for in an HDTV and what order would they be as far as importance.
Hi Maynerd, I just bought an HDTV with the same limitations, so I'll share my tips/experience.

My important list:

1) Size - I had a limited space to work with and even that required me to build a new home entertainment center.

2) Picture Quality - Go to the showrooms and make sure you like the picture. Keep in mind that many of the TVs at these showrooms are not calibrated well, so don't be shy about grabbing the remote and adjusting the brightness/contrast/color/tint/etc.

3) 16:9! You can get 4:3 sets for a lower price, but all HDTV material (720p or 1080i) is 16:9! 16:9 is also greate for anamorphic DVDs (the reason I bought an HDTV in the first place).

4) 2 sets of component or RGB inputs. You want one set for an HDTV receiver box and a second set for a progressive scan DVD player. Even if you don't want those things now, you might want them in the future.

5) Get an HDTV monitor. The demodulator chipsets are still (slowly) improving. Maybe if a miracle occurs, COFDM may re-appear (don't count on it.). So, I don't recommend built-in receivers.

I also wanted 720p native display capability, but factor 2(picture quality) caused me to pass on that feature. (I didn't like the image quality of the Panasonic 56Wxxsomethingxx.)

In the end, I bought a Toshiba 56H80 and I have been very happy with it. It cost less than $3000 (I bought it off the net.) One thing it does is allow aspect ratio adjustments on all its inputs . . . something that many sets don't do. But different people need different sets depending on their particular requirements.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think the best bang for the buck is the Mitsubishi 46807. This set has three sets of componant inputs, one being HD and all three can handle 480i/480p inputs. You know about the Mitsubishi promise. Later this year Mitsubishi will have the upgrade tuner module available for all of their HDTVs. This turner module will have the Firewire ports, 5C copy protection, and HAVi interface. At least with a Mitsubishi you can be assure the set will not be obsolete at the end of this year.

Mitsubishi's next generation of HDTVs will come with built in OTA HDTV turner and Firewire ports. If you can wait a few more months for the next generation Mitsubishi HDTV you may save yourself bundles of money. This way you want have to buy a STB to receive local OTA HD programing.

If you can not wait the 46807 along with the RCA DTC-100 will offer the most bang for the bucks. Just make sure that you have the set ISF calibrated.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would have to second the 46807. I just got mine about 2 months ago and am loving it. I haven't gotten it calibrated yet, but I have tweaked it with AVIA, changed SVM, gamma. It is looking quite nice, especially with DVD. I will get to see HD on it in about a week. I can't wait.

Neal

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ok guys, I am looking for an HDTV. I don't have a lot of money. Most of us work under some type of budget when we buy things and I am under that budget. Now to fit our budget we make compromises on what we purchase. On tvs it would be screen size, flat screen or not, etc...

What are the most important things I should look for in an HDTV and what order would they be as far as importance. So for example the list may look like this:

1 screen size

2 1080i

3 number of inputs

I hope I am making sense, I am just trying to figure out what is the most important feature(s) to look for in HDTV.

Lastly I would like to know what model HDTV is good for under say $4k ($3k would be preferable).

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Maynerd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.