AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any links, ideas/suggestions regarding a DIY unit would be appreciated. My mits projector has an operating range of up to 95 degrees which should allow me to use a vent to bring in cool air rather than a fan setup. I plan to run an aluminum (dryer vent)3-4" diameter pipe to my cold air return from the projector's exhaust. Would this suffice?

That's basically all i have for ideas besides probably using MDF for the hushbox enclosure. This material should be suitable but am looking for alternatives if they offer better sound isolation and are cost effective as well.

Also, i need some ideas on an access door to have access to the manual zoom/focus, all the controls and the power on/off.

My dilema is having to open up the access panel everytime i need to power on the projector. I read that some just leave their projectors in standbye mode but i would still need to get to the access panel to power up the lamp. Yes i have a remote but the hushbox would not allow me to control the projector with my remote, correct? What would be the best scenario for me?

Also, many have used glass/plexiglass as the material in front of the lens. Some use Edmonds optical glass. Is there any difference in PQ between the 2? Thanks

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's, silver center and silver 3's(rears)

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

·
Registered
842 Posts
I made a hush box out of Black infared transparent plastic. Ir commnads make it in with no problem. Harder to deal with then MDF but has other advantages.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I'm in the process of making an MDF hushbox/dustbox for a NEC VT540, anyway I started it last weekend and will finish this weekend. I've incorporated a HEPA filter and I'm making the box as small as possible, therefore I am planning on using two small muffin fans to make sure the projector does not overheat. The projector is hanging from a normal ceiling mount bolted to the top of the box, there is a 3" diameter plexiglas disc for the lens to shine through - if I have a problem with that, 3" round is one of the sizes the Edmund AR glass comes in.

The box is built of 3/4" MDF and for the hardware I used standard cabinet hinges and handle. The front of the box swings open on these hinges and the manual zoom and focus are right behind it. The HEPA filter is a Eureka vacuum cleaner filter. The muffin fans are 12vdc and there are backup batteries to allow projector cooldown in case of one of California's "rolling blackouts". The projector-in-a-box is going on top of a 7' high bookcase and projecting across the room on the opposite wall. The box will be primered and painted flat black and hopefully installed Sunday evening. I should know how it worked out by next week.

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 07-26-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.