AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Popcorn Hour C200 which connects to a network share with my collection of (mostly) movies. I use YAMJ as front end, and am quite happy with the setup.

I'd like to add a second media player in a different room in the house and trying to decide what to do. There are (as many others are aware) issues with Sybase's support of the Popbox. Its price is quite attractive compared to the C200, but various comments and reviews make me very hesitant, not to mention the fact that I don't believe it can interface with YAMJ.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy. I really like the YAMJ interface, and so does my wife. I'm open to other devices as well, be it from Western Digital, ASUS, or any others out there.

It must have ethernet (optionally WIFI), but definitely networkable and able to connect to a windows/Samba share. Must do 1080p, and most common video formats/containers (mkv, mp4, DVD rips, etc). I think most of these features are standards these days, but its the interface that concerns me the most. We will mostly use this for accessing TV shows and movies stored on the network drive. I really don't want to have to scroll through the equivalent of Windows Explorer looking at folder titles to choose an episode or movie to watch. Something that can organize our collection into genres, alphabetical order, etc with or without posters and descriptions would be nice. Best would be if it could just work with YAMJ, even if I had to maintain two different indexes.

I'm not opposed to buying another C200, but there are a lot of less expensive options out there, unfortunately most of the reviews I've seen don't go into the details on the interface that I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnos /forum/post/19576901

I currently have a Popcorn Hour C200 which connects to a network share with my collection of (mostly) movies. I use YAMJ as front end, and am quite happy with the setup.

I just recently picked up WDTV Live Plus and very happy. It supports both DLNA, genres, alpha,... and network shares; plays nicely with Playon (except last f/w) and one can pick episodes on Hulu without Plus subscription.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not know about the A200... that's pretty much a perfect fit. I get to keep all the same features and infrastructure in place, and pay almost have what a C200 would cost.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb /forum/post/19580665

No, no, no-get the A210-I just got an A200 and the fan was wacky-sent it back and ordered the new A210 with passive cooling-like the C200.

Sorry, yes, the supplier I'm looking at (onlybestrated) has the A210 for $205 CDN which is pretty good. Yeah, I'd rather go fanless. I don't plan on putting a HD in, so I could probably just disable the fan on the 200, but then again, for an extra few bucks I'll just avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
877 Posts
No-you wouldn't want to disable the fan in an A200-the thing gets hot enough as it is with the fan running and no internal harddrive installed-if you unplugged the fan it would literally burn up. Mine did when the fan stopped for no apparent reason-that's why it went back and is being replaced with the A210.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnos /forum/post/0

Sorry, yes, the supplier I'm looking at (onlybestrated) has the A210 for $205 CDN which is pretty good. Yeah, I'd rather go fanless. I don't plan on putting a HD in, so I could probably just disable the fan on the 200, but then again, for an extra few bucks I'll just avoid the hassle.

Get the A210. It would be a very bad move to but the A200 just to save a few dollars.

Philip

Edit: the c200 has a great wireless solution which you won't find on most media players. It's the MN-200.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts