AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I have decided to build a new home, and I finally get a dedicated man room. We go to speak with the builder to start having custom floor plans drawn up in a few days. I'm planning about 400 sq/feet for my room. Can be whatever dimensions I choose.

Here's what I'd like to put in it:

Home theater with ceiling mounted projector, and maybe a 100-120' screen?

My office deck - L shaped

Poker table

I was thinking about going a standard 20' x 20' room, with a half wall in the middle. Maybe giving me 9' x 20' for the theater, and 11' x 20' for the desk and the poker table? Or maybe a more rectangular space with the home theater in the front, and desk and table in the back? Looking for some brainstorming, and I know that this is the place to solicit info.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you care at all about sound quality you want to avoid a square room at all costs. Sounds like your room is more of a media room than a dedicated HT set up. My space (under construction) will have similar uses to yours. My room is about 29' x 14' by 7' high and the screen will be on the 14' wide wall furthest from the entrance. We will have a sectional couch about 12' back from the screen. The area behind the couch will have a poker table, my desk etc.

You should do as much reading as you can but at your early stage try to look up "golden ratios" so you have a good idea of the dimensions that are appropriate for HT.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I had heard about avoiding a square room and "golden ratios". That's why I had mentioned some sort of partitioning wall between the two areas.

I just didn't want to completely enclose the theater portion into it's own room. I was trying to get ideas from this older thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1110028/my-home-theater-game-room-bar-thread but my square footage outside of the theater area wouldn't be nearly as long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts