AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I have - I'm coming from a Mitsubishi ws55859 which was recommended from here around 6 years ago and I don't regret that TV one bit. To this day it still looks good to me, but I know it could be better. It's starting to fade a bit around the edges and I'm not sure if the 1080i is true 1080i or upconverted. The time has come to move on to bigger and better.

What I want - I've been lurking and doing my own research the past couple weeks. I was basically set on getting a Mitsubishi HC4900 front projector, but I'm trying to convince myself to go rear proj again. Here are the reasons.

1. Lighting (I can eliminate it, but would be a pain). I will have people over drinking, eating, ect. That can't be happening in the dark.

2. Dust

3. It will be in the basement and my hangout is upstairs.

4. I don't feel like doing all the work (mounting, setup, screen, cal ect).

5. Bulb replacement

I went to Ultimate Electronics and was pretty impressed with the 65 & 70+" Mitusbishi's. But from what I've been reading, Mitsubishi quality has taken a dive in quality from what it once was in the past.

I will be using this for 70% gaming on my 360(not the elite and using monster components) and 30% sports/tv/dvd. I'm looking to stay around $2000. If there is a decent 70"+ around, I will pull the trigger. I will be sitting around 10-17ft away.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to playing some COD4 on my new setup. Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, I'd suggest a LED DLP from Samsung.

They've got a 61 inch 2008 model comming out in April, then a 67 inch a month or so later. They'll probably have Darkchip 4, so you should see an improved contrast ratio.

I'm not sure how much they'll go over your $2000 budget though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
bang for the buck wise, LCD's/Plasmas over 52" are very pricey...

Costco has 65" WDC657 1080p DLP w/ match stand for $1700...they also have a Panasonic 61", a Samsung 67" and a JVC 70" at very good prices

looks like all makers of RPTV DLP sets have had problems though and Toshiba Hitachi and Sony (maybe Samsung??) are no longer going to make them...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts