AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a home theater setup with a new Sony Flat Panel and Directv in a living room that is about 18x14. The purpose is to boost the sound from the TV and having a receiver so a radio can be present. I have so far decided on for this 2.1 setup:

Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR609 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

2 Front Speakers: Bose® - 161 Bookshelf Speakers

Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT210

I am torn right now on the Sub, but thinking about either the Mirage Omni S8 or the Klipsch 8" 350W. Any thoughts as I really would like to stay around $1000 total for this.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene_R /forum/post/20868050

I am trying to get a home theater setup with a new Sony Flat Panel and Directv in a living room that is about 18x14. The purpose is to boost the sound from the TV and having a receiver so a radio can be present. I have so far decided on for this 2.1 setup:

Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR609 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

2 Front Speakers: Bose® - 161 Bookshelf Speakers

Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT210

I am torn right now on the Sub, but thinking about either the Mirage Omni S8 or the Klipsch 8" 350W. Any thoughts as I really would like to stay around $1000 total for this.

While I don't particularly share their sentiment, people are going to jump all over you for choosing Bose speakers.

Even so, I would consider the Infinity P162's. Available at Crutchfield for about $170/pair plus shipping. As far as subs go, BIC has a good rep for less than $300.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info spyboy.

Quote:
While I don't particularly share their sentiment, people are going to jump all over you for choosing Bose speakers.

Yeah, I figured. I'm helping someone who is enamored with Bose and I'm really not smart enough in this area to tell them any different, so they insist upon Bose and I won't say otherwise.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Why not save a little on the receiver and get better speakers? I've had good luck helping family shop at accessories4less.com. They have good deals on factory refurbished Marantz and Onkyo . The Onkyo HT-RC260 or Marantz Sr6001 can be had for just below or right at $300 shipped.

Then if it's the sound field your friend likes about Bose, let him know that vanns.com has the Mirage OMD-5s on clearance, $399 MSRP for $150 for the Rosewood wood finish. They'd look awesome and would sound much, much better that those Bose. Let him know that Mirage is owned by Klipsch (which he might have heard of).

Then for subwoofers, you could pick up the HSU STF-1 or Outlaw Audio M8 for under $300. Either of those will do as well (or probably better) than the Klipsch or Mirage you mentioned, and they are cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.