Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear AVS Forum Users,

I've been reading the threads for some time, and I would like to thank you first for providing me with such valuable information. Today, I would like to ask for your advice on my budget home theater upgrade plan.

I bought $299 JVC Home Theater in a Box 6 months ago (RX-6018V Receiver + active subwoofer + 5 speakers). I chose JVC over similarly priced Sony home theater set because I felt that the sound of Sony was too light, and I liked the deepness of sound that JVC offered with its subwoofer.

Even though I have enjoyed it very much, I think it's time to upgrade. Now I feel the speakers that came with the JVC set needs an upgrade to produce quality sound.

I am willing to spend $499 - $599 on the upgrade. Should I buy a new home theater system (receiver + 5.1 speakers set), or should I keep the receiver and just upgrade the speakers? What will be my best move?

I am thinking of buying Onkyo or Yamaha system (receiver + 5.1 speaker set) that my local Circuit City sells for about $445 because I have very little knowledge on separately sold speaker sets.

Thanks for reading my message!

Smokie71

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My vote would be to upgrade speakers first, then the receiver. Others have suggested something from the Energy line (I think it's called the Take 5 system?) as being a good alternative in that price range.

Keep in mind that this type of upgrade could be a double edged sword though... A new set of speakers could let you hear things (good and bad) that you've never heard in that receiver before. A new receiver on the other hand may be a huge upgrade, but you may not be able to appreciate it with those same speakers... I suggest that you take the long view on this and simply make the next upgrade when your ears tell you that it's time.

Good luck.

David

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would spend the $500-600 on front speakers. A good set of front speakers will transform your entire system. For ~ $600 you could pick up a good pair of speakers: KEF, B&W, Paradigm. As time goes on buy the matching center the surrounds. Later upgrade your AVR or if your current JVC has pre-out buy an amp. Lastly enjoy

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would start with new speakers.

Energy Take 5 is a great low-priced system that I have and love.

Start there. Speaker upgrade is defeinatly the best improvment. Unfortunatly you will start to notcie your other equipment lacking...

Once you get more money upgrade your reciever and DVD player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.