AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are *finally* moving from stereo receivers to an AV surround system!

I have a pair of Thiel CS 1.5s that are about a dozen years old. I would like to use these as front channel speakers, and build a surround system around these. I'd very much welcome input on the following:

1) For center channel, Thiel CSC3's would work but are too pricey for me at $1400 for one. Any other suggestions for a non-Thiel center channel speaker that would be compatible with my 1.5's?

2) For AV receiver, I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-V2700, but am open to other options. [Yes, I know, "wrong forum" for this - so feel free to ignore this item and just focus on my speaker questions
- But do want to be sure the receiver will be ok with the Thiel CS 1.5's ]

3) For subwoofer, I'm not sure where to begin and any suggestions would be appreciated!

4) For surround speakers, TruAudio CPI-8's are scheduled to be popped into the ceiling in a couple of weeks. Room configuration requires ceiling surrounds - no other option. I'd read CPI-8's were "good enough" in this sitation - but not too late for me to substitute.

Total budget for 1-3 is $2500 to $3000 (not counting the in-ceiling surround speakers)

Also - house is prewired with short runs of 14 gauge for two front speakers - is this sufficient? Swapping out wires will involve a fair amount of wall work due to location.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't have great suggestions within your stated budget, but you should not skimp on the center channel by getting something cheap that does not match your L/R speakers reasonably well. Thiel's new SCS4 is supposed to list for under $1000, and may be a good choice for you.

My favorite subwoofers from Thiel and JL Audio will not fit your budget, but you should be able to find a fairly clean, tight sub for less if you give up some features and can tolerate a few compromises in system integration.

Also, your Thiel's would benefit from separate components or a good high-current receiver if you can afford it.

Good luck with some tough choices if you need to limit your budget but still want to match your CS 1.5s.

SDL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.