AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have start by saying thank you all, I've been learning a lot from u folks here over the past few months. I had hoped that I would be a little more knowledgeable about this stuff before i posted my first thread but unfortunately here we are.

I am currently an owner of a Infocus SP4805 witch i love. But after going to CES and seeing all that's new and browsing around here seeing htfp's that dwarf my little sp it's made me a little jealous. Luckily (i think) a colleague has recently informed me that he is going to be upgrading to a new Epson PC1080 and offered his old one to me for what seems like a really good price. It's a Dream Vision DreamWeaver (1) with about 450 lamp hours, the stats on it (posted below) seem great but I'm no expert and although I trust this guy I feel a little investigation is warranted. So I'm here asking if any of u have any input on this projector, I've searched but found very little so any input is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks in advance-

Stats provided by projectorcentral:
Quote:
Dream Vision DreamWeaver Projector
1100 Lumens, 1500:1 Contrast, 9.7 lbs, DLP Projector

MSRP (USD) : $ 9,995

Brightness (Lumens) : 1100 ANSI

Contrast (Full On/Off) : 1500:1

Variable Iris: **

Audible Noise: 27.0 dB

Weight: 9.7 lbs.

Size (inches) (HxWxD) : **

Std. Lens:

Focus:

Manual

Zoom: Manual

Throw Dist (feet) : 5.0 - 32.8

Image Size (inches) : **

Optional Lenses: No

Digital Zoom: Yes

Keystone Correction: Digital

Lens Shift: **

Networking:

Wired: No

Wireless: No

Warranty: **

Performance:

H-Sync Range: **

V-Sync Range: **

Compatibility: HDTV:

1035i, 1080p/60, 1080i

720p

EDTV/480p: Yes

SDTV/480i: Yes

Component Video: Yes

Video: Yes

Digital Input: M1-DA(P&D)

Personal Computers: Yes

Display: Type:

DLP (1)

Color Wheel Segs: 6

Color Wheel Speed: 5x

Native: 1280x720 Pixels

Maximum: 1280x1024 Pixels

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (HD)

Lamp:

Type: 200W UHP

Life: 3000 hours

Quantity: 1

Speakers: **

Max Power: **

Voltage: 100V - 240V

FCC Class: **

Special: **

First Ship: Jun 2003

Last Ship: Jul 2005

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/0

Difficult to give advice without knowing what he is offering it to you for.

oh sry, 1500.00

but I was looking more for input on the projector itself.

As far as the deal $1500 for a $10,000 PJ is an almost no-brainier (please let me know if I'm wrong.) But with current market fluctuations and the prices of even 1080p projectors coming down to the almost non-prosumer/professional level, should I just keep my 4805 and wait till i can afford a True HD PJ? I mean the guy who's offering this is getting rid of a $10,000 PJ for one that cost almost half as much and is probably twice as good.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokusf /forum/post/0

oh sry, 1500.00

but I was looking more for input on the projector itself.

As far as the deal $1500 for a $10,000 PJ is an almost no-brainier (please let me know if I'm wrong.)

Actually, I think you may be. You can now buy a brand new projector with a warranty for that price ($1500) or less that likely exceeds the performance of the Dream Vision. Don't let yourself look upon it as a deal just because it was 10K two years ago. The prices on 1280 x 720 projectors have PLUMMETED.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I know in the past the Dreamvision projectors were InFocus OEMs. Not sure if this is still the case for the PJ in question. I would also check the price of bulb replacement for this PJ and how many hours on its bulb currently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So yeah, I understand that a 1985 BMW is not worth MSRP but is that what we're talking about here? It may in fact be; But thats what I'm wondering. What was it that made this and other projectors so expensive in years past? 1) mainstream demand? yes! 2) Competing display technologies? yes. 3) Increased Production.... but what else? I have to believe theres more to the price difference of a Optima HD70 ($1,000) and Dreamvision ($10,000) then just that it was made when "HD FP's where expensive"

Maybe I'm completely wrong and Optima's hd70 is just as good as any other projector with the same resolution. But if I'm right then what, other then resolution, makes a PJ "good" or "bad"? and specifically what about the Dreamvision makes it not worth the money? U say there's brand new PJ on the market right now that may "outperform" the DV... but how and witch ones? please I'm a noob and really know nothing more then contrast ratio, resolution and lumens so point me in the direction of 1. tnx in advance again.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Sounds like an Infocus SP7200 to me...brighter than your SP4805 but contrast not as good in reality not just specs. It was still considered better than your SP4805 back when both were new. You really should post in the budget PJ forum for advice on the $1-1.5K HD PJ. But in general calibrated contrast/brightness, greyscale/gamma tracking, color decoding/gamut are things that make for a good image regardless of resolution. Your SP4805 did very well in all of those measures. The colorwheel used in DLP makes a big difference on these measures.

The lamp in that Dream Vision will be the same as the OEM - it is $550 at present. That is fairly low hours though so it should not be a concern for a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC /forum/post/0

I know in the past the Dreamvision projectors were InFocus OEMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik /forum/post/0

Sounds like an Infocus SP7200 to me

What do u mean? they have the same specs or they actually are the same piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik /forum/post/0

You really should post in the budget PJ forum for advice on the $1-1.5K HD PJ

Sry I just thought that someone here may have 1 and could give me some feedback as to what he/she thought about it.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
He means they are the same piece. Dreamvision rebadges projectors made by other companies. They put a different chassis on them but the innards are the same (Dreamvision would claim they optimize them, and of you want to believe that, well....
).

As for the last sentence you quoted from Kras, I think he was giving you feedback...by telling you to buy a new PJ and therefore to look in the other forum. We are telling you not to buy it and to buy a new PJ. but if you want to pay $1500 for a used projector when you can buy a better new one for less, go for it
. I;d also recommend taking a look at the Mitsubishi HD1000U that was mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks for the info guys, I greatly appreciate the advice :thumbsup:

I think what I'll do is sit on my 4805 for now and see what happens with all this new stuff that's coming out. I mean I hate passing up a great deal when it really IS one but thankfully I worked up the ballz to post here and it payed off. Now I don't need to rush into anything and can take my time and find the FP thats right for me.

thanks again guys :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokusf /forum/post/0

I mean I hate passing up a great deal when it really IS one but thankfully I worked up the ballz to post here and it payed off.

Sometimes or in many cases - the best deal is the one you never make. I agree with Kaz, that was the OEM of the IF 7200 and costed more than the 7200 at the time. I remember the dealer saying that it was Optimized as QQQ mentioned and that it didn't use the same lens but a better one. Also, that is one ugly looking PJ IMHO (the chassis).

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Its not a bad deal - the going rate of used SP7200 is around there. It's next generation is still sold at $3K (SP7205/IN76) and $4.5K (SP7210/IN78). The optical quality on these are way better than anything you would find at that $1.5K price - high end Zeiss lens, color wheel with neutral density green.

I don't know what DreamVision does despite asking them and thier dealers. Told them I was an Infocus dealer that would be happy to make more money - but they need to step up and tell me what the videophile changes were beyond a shiny case so I could sell them honestly. Never heard back on that. - since Infocus optically optomizes projectors for D65 - the only changes could have been the lens or video circuits and that is some spendy reengineering.

But all the good info on new deals at that price is in the other forum. Stick around here and someone will convince you to spend what that DreamVision cost NEW! Which if you wanted to - the three chip Infocus SP777 was just reduced to $10K after debut at $30K few years ago.

80-90% off on used three year PJ is typical - but I am sure if your friend puts it on Fleabay someone will think that is a screaming deal. I heard some are getting $750 for their used SP4805s (50% off from new) on there - which is pretty damn good considering the replacement IN72 is closing out new at $600. Not that I am saying to take advantage of the gullible if you wanted to get into 720P....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Krasmuzik and the rest of u guys, I appreciate the help.

Over the weekend I did a little more research and, like with everything, I'm getting a lot strange feedback. I talked to two different people out where i live and both are saying that Dreamvision in fact manufactured the Dreamweaver themselves and that if anything they are the OEM of the 7200....
I also talked to some low level support technician from infocus that said that they have never made any Screen Play projector for Dreamvision nor viceversa....

But in any event, Weather Dremvision or Infocus actually made the projector is of little consequence really. The question that is bothering me is weather the Dreamweaver (1) is any better then a currently manufactured $1500 PJ of a similar resolution. Because the specs are (as mentioned above) so similar to the Dreamweaver (1) I figured that I would use the 7200 as a reference since there are actually people out there who have owned one. Although everyone I talked to has recommended a used 7200 over a new HD70 and HD1000U hands down, none of those people expanded on that. They kind of just acted as though I shouldn't even have to ask.....
Now I'm guessing its for the reasons that kras posted: lense, color wheel, yada, yada. but they may have just been talking out of their a$$

So I finally talked to my colleague in regards to all this and he came up with a very simple solution: he said he'd drop the thing by so that I can take a couple weeks to see how I like it....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.