AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm back for some more advice. I have a nice A/V set up in my family room at home which is driven by at SONY STR-DN1000 receiver (click for photo):

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...STN1000&tp=179

Right now I have my Mirage Nanosats hooked up to the A Channel (R/L fronts,center,sub & R/L rears) and I am driving two Polk Atrium 55's (click below)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107ATR5...ck.html?tp=188

outside on my deck from my B channel. To get the deck speaker wires outside, I went thru the wall behind my entertainment center and out and down the siding of my house. I came out of the house just beside/below my deck so you can only see the speaker wires for about a foot or so along my siding (very discreet).

I just recently installed a fire pit in my yard and I would like to be able to use this same SONY receiver to drive another pair of speakers (probably Atrium 55's or 60's) that will be out at my fire pit. I'd say the fire pit is about 50-60 feet from the point where the wires go into the house so I will be looking at probably 60-70' of speaker wire - from each speaker to the receiver - when it is all said and done. Because of the hole that I ran for the deck speakers, it will be very easy for me to run another set of direct burial speaker wires from the back of my receiver - thru the wall - and down into the ground - out to the fire pit.

My question is, is there an amplifier or some sort of a speaker switch system that I can use to drive this third set of speakers? Or would I be better off with a different receiver at this point?

I should also add that I am streaming my iTunes wirelessly thru my home using an Apple Airport Express - which I play thru my receiver in my family room and on my deck. I can control the iTunes at all times with my iTouch ipod (remote app). I did run out to the fire pit the other day to make sure that I can still pick up the wireless signal and control the music with my ipod - and I could. So, the only thing I need to do is purchase an RF remote so I can control the VOLUME on the receiver inside (can't do that with the ipod remote). Also, I have noticed that when I have my A (inside) speakers and my B (deck speakers) on at the same time, my deck speakers could use a little more power.

Is there something out there that I can hook up to my existing receiver that would enable me to hook up and drive all of these speakers that I have mentioned and get them enough power to do their thing??? Your suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
One thing I would caution you to, continuing to add speakers to the receiver will drive down (or up depending on how you wire) the impedance the more speakers you wire together. This won't be an issue if you only use one of the two outdoor pairs at a time. However, if you plan to run them both together off the "front B" speaker outputs it could get...hairy. The receiver says 8-16 ohm is what it wants, and the Polk Atrium speakers are 8 ohm. If you wire them in parallel they'll present at 4 ohms; below what the receiver wants, which cause the receiver to go into protect mode. If you wire them in series they'll be 16 ohms, which should be ok, but you may lack power.

Further, I don't see a "zone-2" or any pre-out connections on that particular receiver. Therefore, adding an additional amplifier to help you is going to be...difficult. You could attempt to get a speaker to line level converter, though you may sacrifice sound quality. If you did, however, you could hook the converter to the B outputs and then to a high powered amplifier that would have no trouble powering all the speakers.

Finally, you could try impedance matching volume controls on the two pairs of outside speakers. However, I don't know what the final load would be and if the receiver would have issues driving it. Maybe someone else can chime in. The problem here is that I don't believe those controls would allow you to entirely turn off the speakers, so you'll always get some volume to each of the pairs.

To further help; answer these:

Do you ALWAYS want both outside pairs on at the same time (with the "same" volume)?

- If yes: wire speakers in series and you should be ok; but you may find yourself lacking power. If so, invest in a new receiver or in a speaker to line level converter and a power amplifier capable of driving them.

- If no:

- - Do you ever want both outside pairs on at the same time?

- - - If no: simple speaker selector connected to receiver will be good enough.

- - - If yes: It gets "complicated". You have to decide if you want to control volume independently for each pair and if you want to be able to turn the pairs on/off independently.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all DW, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this. It really is cool that complete strangers take the time to chime in and share their A/V knowledge here on this website. OK, on to answer some of your questions:

I could certainly live with playing 1 pair of outside speakers at a time (either the deck speakers OR the fire pit speakers) particularly IF that means that I don't have to go through the trouble of buying a new receiver. To be honest, we have so many other priorities with the new home and a new receiver really is on the bottom of our list. So what I'm hearing from you is that a simple speaker selector may just solve my problem here IF I were to hook it to the B channel, correct? If I have just B channel selected on the receiver and then have the ability to toggle between the deck speakers and fire pit speakers...I should get enough power out to them. If that is the route that I decide to go, do you have any recommendations as to where I can find a good speaker selector?

You also stated that if I did want both sets on at the same time to "wire them in series". Can you explain that a little further? Does that just mean hook up both sets of speakers to the B terminals? It might be worth me giving that a shot and to see what sort of power/volume I can get out of the B Channel if I have all 4 of them going at once. Worst case, it doesn't work and I just go back to the speaker selector option.

Thanks again for your help and input DW...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sonos ZP250 bundle + bridge will give you an even more elegant solution to meet your needs. But it costs $$$

Your best option for low/no price would be to wire the speakers together or get a speaker selector. Whenever you add speakers to a single terminal you will lose some power but it should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
first those POLK speakers you mentioned are very good and can handle some watts. I have the 65sdi on my boat.

second, you can pick up an integrated amp on ebay for under 100 to drive them. You can run a line from that back to your indoor receiver if you want the same music inside and out.

My out door system is high end and all indoor stuff, but there is where I listen to music most times.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Like Dream Warrior noted, a speaker selector switch should be all you need. One other thing, you can’t run just any speaker cable out to the fire pit. You’ll need cable rated for direct burial. The black zip cord they sell for outdoor low-voltage lighting will work fine for that. Also, don't make any underground splices between the receiver and speakers.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At this juncture, it looks like I am going to go with a speaker selector and see if this does the trick. I do not mind at all if I have to just use 1 zone at a time outside (either the deck speakers or the fire pit speakers). I might try wiring the two sets of speakers together (to the B terminals) just before I hook up the speaker selector box but my guess is that I will just want to run one set at a time, especially since I have to go 60-70 feet out to the fire pit.

I have absolutely no clue as to which speaker selector to get but after reading some other posts on the issue, I see a few that are fairly common (without breaking the bank):

Niles SS-4 - $84
http://www.amazon.com/Niles-SS-4-Spe...1861972&sr=8-2

Sima SSW4 - $31
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Monoprice 4-Channel Speaker Selector - $16
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Would it be overkill if I went with the Niles or will something like the Monoprice selector give me that same quality????

Thanks in advance everyone...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony /forum/post/19573879

At this juncture, it looks like I am going to go with a speaker selector and see if this does the trick. I do not mind at all if I have to just use 1 zone at a time outside (either the deck speakers or the fire pit speakers). I might try wiring the two sets of speakers together (to the B terminals) just before I hook up the speaker selector box but my guess is that I will just want to run one set at a time, especially since I have to go 60-70 feet out to the fire pit.

I have absolutely no clue as to which speaker selector to get but after reading some other posts on the issue, I see a few that are fairly common (without breaking the bank):

Niles SS-4 - $84
http://www.amazon.com/Niles-SS-4-Spe...1861972&sr=8-2

Sima SSW4 - $31
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Monoprice 4-Channel Speaker Selector - $16
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Would it be overkill if I went with the Niles or will something like the Monoprice selector give me that same quality????

Thanks in advance everyone...

I would say the monoprice unit would be fine.

Also, with regards to wiring both sets of speakers together in series, here is an image:

Just consider the terminals on the amp in that picture to be the terminals on your reciever. Note the difference, the series connection takes the "+" from one speaker and ties it to the "-" on the other, then the "+" from one speaker and the "-" from the other connects to your receiver, while the parallel you just plug all four ends into the receiver (which is not what you want).

So, you would have to tie the two speaker "+" and "-" leads together inside your house, they sell little plasic crimps in Home Depot where you put the ends of both wires into it and then close it tight to tie the connections together. Then you just hook the other two wires into your receiver.

Again, I don't recommend running them this way because you likely don't want them always both on at the same time and you'll always take a hit in volume at both locations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.