AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had DirecTv for 4-5 years now. Six weeks ago, I added additional recievers, which means I had to go run an additional cable to my dual-LNB. My Sony 18" dish is on the (very steep) roof. I've now been up on it twice - once for original installation, and once for the second cable.

My system has become very affected by wind. When it is calm out, I have a good signal strength in the 80's. When it's windy, I have constant short dropouts. At first, I thought it was that I had knocked the dish loose when I was last working on it, and the wind is "aggravating it". I still consider this possible, but not as likely as choice #2 -- a tree/limb is being blown into the line-of-sight for this signal. Previously, of course, the leaves were not on the tree, and the tree was shorter.

My current plan, is to go on to the roof, lie down, and site the dishes signal path again. If it looks like a tree is the cause, I'll consider trimming, pruning, or cutting it down. But I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.

The only other viable location for the dish is in my front yard (pointing back over the house) which I'd rather not do.

Please provide recommendations on how to verify and solve this problem (with as few trips onto the roof as possible). If anyone can suggest another likely cause, I'd welcome that too.

Thanks

David Corbin

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Since you have a strong signal when it is calm, your dish is aligned. If the signal is dropping lower when it is windy, you probably have leaves in the way. If the signal is stopping (0 on the meter) when it is windy, you probably have a loose F-connector. Tighten the connections first. If that doesn't help, cut them off and put some new ones on.

-Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.