AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen of the AVS community and Ladies if they are out there. I'm here today because of a dire situation of which I am trapped in. I am doing my first nice 2 channel system as my location will not allow wiring and mounting of rears. I know most of you will say listen to it yourself and decide and which I 100% agree but unfortunately I have no stores in my area that carry the gear that are the big names in the buisness.

So let me get to the point. I have a $1500 - 2000 budget for two towers. Here is what I've been reading and feel are good choices thus far. I am also looking into ID brands but am still a bit weary.

Paradigm studio 100 v4 - roughly 2000 with shipping

Monitor Audio RS8 - Approx 1400 plus shipping

Quad 22L2 - 1380 plus shipping

Polk Audio RTi A9 - 1700 plus shipping

NHT Classic Fours - 1500 Shipped

If you have any other Ideas go ahead and toss them into the mix I'll be glad to consider anything! Now let me describe as to what I mainly listen to Rock of different styles from metal to soft , Electronic ex: Trance , Dance , Melodic types, Some Classical but very little , Rap and R&B when a small party deems it necessary (not very often) .

Lastly my Amplification I'll be powering the two towers most likely with a Pioneer Elite SC-25 or SC-27 AVR. I love tubes but hell I'm still in college..

I appreciate any comments or opinions.

Sincerely,

Josh P.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow that is a great list of towers you just listed. I truly think you would be happy with any of those. Honestly I would go online and check out different reviews. See if anyone has compared them against each other, but beware people like to push products they own. Nothing wrong with that just they are bias towards their product.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul /forum/post/16920938

Wow that is a great list of towers you just listed. I truly think you would be happy with any of those. Honestly I would go online and check out different reviews. See if anyone has compared them against each other, but beware people like to push products they own. Nothing wrong with that just they are bias towards their product.

Agreed.

I would usually like to push people to Infinity Beta 50s on a budget...but I think those towers are all great choices...better than the 50s.

Get a dedicated amp at this price point. It will power your speakers better.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Some others to consider...

Salk Songtower QWT - for a $2000 budget, I imagine these would be very high on anyone's list...

Energy RC-70 (Vann's or WWstereo has good pricing on these) - you can actually get these under $1000 with the closeout pricing...

Aperion 6T

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Here are some more recommendations. Just remember to purchase based on what you hear and based on your own opinion, not someone else's.
This hobby is too subjective and room dependent to do it any other way.

Paradigm Monitor Series

B&W 6 series

TheAudioInsider.com (Swan and Dana)

Definitive Technology

Salk Sound

Aperion Audio

NHT Classic Fours

PSB

Monitor Audio

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do agree seperates is the best way to go and not a AVR but once I factor in all the things I need to make it work the way I want it becomes a bit more costly than my total budget.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
hit up audiogon.com you can get a real bargain on much more expensive speakers. For half or more off the cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am current looking in the same price range.

This is my current short list:

Paradigm studio 100 v4

PSB Imagine T's

Monitor Audio RS8

I have decided to wait due to Monitor Audio just announced the up coming release of the revamped Silver line. Right now the PSB Imagine T's are at the top of my list.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I've been told by dealers that the v5 line and v4 are a big difference and thats why the dealer bought up all the remaining v4 stock paradigm had. I've been told NHT is a great speaker to be had but its so hard just picking on positive review and not being able to demo for your self. I've also pondered the DIY kits but time and tools needed are gonna be tough.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
BTW

There is a nice pair of MG12's (rated 9/10) at Audiogon for just $799.

Put the rest of the money on a good used amp and pre-pro.

You can find Rotel RB-1080 again at audiogon and also anthem AVM 20 v2 on audiogon. This is the 2ch gear I have and I am very happy with the sound for what I paid. of course I paid full price for the MG12s at the dealer. I got them home and listened for a couple of days. I dont need to change my amp and pre-pro for many years for 2ch music. If the MG12's are too big for your room get the MMG's just $599+40S&H with 60 day trial. Magnepan will beat all the speakers you have listed here. You will even have money for a good sub. What more can you ask for?

Trust me I have auditioned many boxy heavy speakers like Paradigm 100, MA RS6/8, PSB Image T45/T65, B&W 683/684, Vienna Acoustics Mozart, Def. Tech etc. etc. and the MG12 or MMG would beat all of them. Add a sub you will have a great 2ch gear.

The only big speaker in that list I gave that will perform close to the MG12+sub would be the PSB Image T65 but it is too big and heavy. I can easily lift my MG12's. Just 40 lbs.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
A lot of people here may have not heard the Magnepans. They always give this sour grape story that these speakers need a lot of room to breath and need a monster of an amp etc. etc. The Magnepan owners are probably enjoying their time listening to the sweet sound instead of trying to convince folks here.

MG12's are categorized as quasi ribbon speakers. They are not electrostatic speakers. I play different kinds of music soft rock, heavy metal, R&B, pop etc and it shines in all of them. I have owned B&W 602 S2's and Klipsch RB81 before. While these 2 are nice speakers (yes even the Klipsch RB81 is a sweet sounding speaker unlike a typical horn as it has been softened a lot compared to RB35), the MG12's certainly outscore them in everything. Crystal clear highs, big soundstage and decent bass too (goes to 40Hz though specs say 45Hz). I have heard nothing that outscores the Magnepans in highs. If you dont like highs you can tone them down by adding the tweeter attenuators that are supplied by the factory. Just plug them at the back.

Most Hi-fi stores I have been to have a lousy room. They just dont have any room treatment so it is always a good idea to bring the speakers home to listen to them. Now it is not going to be easy to bring home speakers like the Paradigm 100 or PSB Image T65 as they are monsters and the dealer may not like to loan them. When other speakers including the PSB ImagineT's sounded boomy, the Image T65 had a very deep tight bass and also sweet highs. Like I said it was too big and heavy for me. So I decided to go with the MG12s.

B&W 683 just didnt have a chance to compete with the MG12s. B&W 684 was probably the worst of all. The smaller 685 in fact has better highs than the 684.

Anyway...to the OP: dont exclude any speaker without listening to them.

I would suggest getting the Magnepan MMGs (they are floor standing too) since you are in college. You can still drive them using an AVR but may not be to 100db. Save the money, finish college, get a job and then get better gear!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
With the type of music you listen to, add Klipsch RF-63 and RF-83 to your list. Current version are more laid back and the dynamics are a step beyond anything thus far listed. They are unreal with trance, EBM, Industrial and Metal and make killer HT speakers.

You might also see if you can find a good deal on a pair of PMC speakers, great sounding boxes to say the least. OB'1s are killer but even used they may be out of the price range.

Magnepans are great, very sweet and transparent, but they lack dynamics and output capability until you get into the bigger versions which are outside the budget range. SMGs roll off pretty steeply below about 50 hz so you will likely want a sub. With the music you listen to, you probably won't be happy. I owned SMGs, SMGas, MGII's, MGIII's, MG1.6's, and MG-20's when I was in college so I know the strengths and limitations on them. The only ones that had acceptable dynamics were the MG-20's which are available used around $5K a pair (6K for the 20.1's). With a planar, the smaller they are, the less output and dynamic range they have, simply limitation of physics. There are a LOT of them out there used so you could try a pair...but shipping is spendy.

Another speaker along the same iines, but a bit more dynamic, is the Martin Logan hybrid ESL's. There are TONS of used ones out there, cheap. Heck, there is a pair of Prodigy's on Audiogon for $2750...those are 10K speakers a few years back. There are a set of Ascents on Agon for $1800 that would be a good speaker to go with. All the clarity of the Magnepan (more actually) plus WAY more dynamics and much deeper bass response.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts