AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the speaker placement threads linked in the 101 Setup area but still need some advice on my layout. I'd like to get the most out of my aging system but my room layout limits my speaker placement. I have enough speakers for a 7.1 system. A decent 5.1 set and two Monitor Authority speakers I can use for the side. I'm running a Denon 3803 receiver.

The back speakers are mounted about 6.5 ft high facing down toward the center seat and are set back around 6 and 7 ft from the center seat. The front two speakers and center channel are about 7 feet in front of the listening position and are at ear level. The sub is under a large coffee table in front of the listening position. The main area of the room where everything is placed is 18ft wide (left lamp to plant wall) by 14ft deep (TV wall to surround wall). The entire room has a vaulted ceiling that raises from 10ft on either end to 14ft in the middle.

Due to the room layout the only place I have for side speakers in a 7.1 layout are a few feet to the front instead of directly to the side of the listening position. See red speakers below.

Can I set up a decent sounding 7.1 system with the red speakers placed to the front instead of directly at the sides? Could the audio delay settings be tweaked to work with this setup?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18243878

Dolby Labs does not recommend the sides "in front" of the listener, but over the shoulder and slightly behind the listener. Creating you own layout will just defeat the way the original source audio was mastered.
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

Thank you. I've read the Dolby site too. So far it sounds like my only option is to stick with my 5.1 setup and get rid of the Monitor Audio speakers that have been collecting dust.

I was hoping people on this board may have some tips for placing the speakers in front and tweaking the audio delay or something else to achieve the optimal sound while working around my layout limitations. I think the Denon 3803 while older is a versatile receiver for changing settings. ( AVR-3803 Manual )

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18243900

just get stands and you can place them properly.

I have stands for the red speakers in the 7.1 layout above. The stands are about 3ft tall.

Unfortunately I cannot place the speakers at either side of the couch since I have pets and children. They would get knocked over. I must place them against a wall.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
with stands you have the option of storing them against the wall and them moving them out to the correct location on "movie night".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18243982

with stands you have the option of storing them against the wall and them moving them out to the correct location on "movie night".

I considered that. Even if I get the kids to stay still I'm afraid the dogs could trip up on the speaker wire or otherwise knock over the stands. I appreciate the advice and options.

Would this layout work with the red speakers moved to the sides?

Notice the red speakers are not equal distance from the center listening position.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

invisible fence?

that left surround speaker would be a problem in that diagram...

can we re-arrange your room?

·
Registered
633 Posts
feel like a receiver upgrade? your first layout looks like a good DSX-wide arrangement.

don't get all hung up on rear surrounds as the 6/7 channels...the difference is surprisingly trivial. DSX wides are a much better bang for your 7-channel buck.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-deaf /forum/post/18243808

The back speakers are mounted about 6.5 ft high facing down toward the center seat and are set back around 6 and 7 ft from the center seat.

Due to the room layout the only place I have for side speakers in a 7.1 layout are a few feet to the front instead of directly to the side of the listening position.

You do realize that 5.1 systems use "side surrounds" (the ones that you are adding) and 7.1 systems have "back surrounds" (which are already in place), don't you? Make sure that you connect the correct speakers to the proper outputs on your AVR when you finally settle on a configuration.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18244353

^^^

invisible fence?

I'm open for suggestions on a new layout. The current one seems to allow the best flow through the room considering all the doors and entryways. Feel free to suggest a new layout. The blue area is in use and off limits for a re-arrange. The main area can be re-arranged and the red dots show the 3 pre-wired speaker wall hookups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 /forum/post/18244432

feel like a receiver upgrade? your first layout looks like a good DSX-wide arrangement.

don't get all hung up on rear surrounds as the 6/7 channels...the difference is surprisingly trivial. DSX wides are a much better bang for your 7-channel buck.

I wish I could get a new receiver or a new home with a better layout. Unfortunately I am unable to afford a new receiver right now. I am trying to get the best setup out of what I already own. It seems like the MA speakers are going to waste and could be better used hooked up to the 7.1 capable AVR-3803 receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18245140

You do realize that 5.1 systems use "side surrounds" (the ones that you are adding) and 7.1 systems have "back surrounds" (which are already in place), don't you? Make sure that you connect the correct speakers to the proper outputs on your AVR when you finally settle on a configuration.

I am aware my back speakers are in-between a 5.1 and 7.1 back speaker placement. 5.1 being more to the side than behind the listening position and 7.1 being closer together behind the listening position. Currently as long as I hook up the 5.1 speakers to the correct output, as you noted, it produces the desired sound.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You know what? Life isn't perfect and neither is every little detail.

When you've been dealt lemons, make lemonade....even if it's missing a little bit of sugar.

My suggestion is to make the most of what you have and put the speakers where you can. If Mr. Dolby and Mr. THX don't agree or approve, oh well, but you don't have $20K to re-build the room. (you don't have the royalties coming in do you?)

put them where you feel is best and the closest possible without distruction from the kids or pets and deal with the not-so-perfect sound stage.

C'est la vie!

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18244353

^^^

invisible fence?

Excellent idea. Shock collars for the dogs and kids. In a few weeks you can remove the collars from the dogs. With luck the kids will learn in a few months.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18245769

I'd flip the room 90 degrees clockwise.

That was my very first thought upon seeing the diagram. Put the TV against the right-hand wall with everything else rotated around to face it. I think it would improve the room acoustics by having the "void" of the left-hand end of the room behind the seating position rather than off to one side, as well as allowing speaker-placement closer to the optimal position.

It's certainly worth trying if you don't mind dragging stuff around the room.

OP, those are really nice drawings, too. We usually get stuff scribbled out in 30 seconds on MS Paint. Yours look professional!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18245769

I'd flip the room 90 degrees clockwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18246152

That was my very first thought upon seeing the diagram. Put the TV against the right-hand wall with everything else rotated around to face it. I think it would improve the room acoustics by having the "void" of the left-hand end of the room behind the seating position rather than off to one side, as well as allowing speaker-placement closer to the optimal position.

It's certainly worth trying if you don't mind dragging stuff around the room.

OP, those are really nice drawings, too. We usually get stuff scribbled out in 30 seconds on MS Paint. Yours look professional!

that makes 3 of us who thought the exact same thing...
that would be MUCHO better... it also might have the side effect of perceived "better" video, simply because there wouldn't be so much stuff/room in the peripheral vision of the viewer... dunno if there's any validity to it, but i find it somewhat distracting when the display is "open" like that... but that could just be me...

and yup, they sure are nice drawings... nice to see someone put some effort into it...

·
Registered
172 Posts
sorry, I don't have a comment on your speaker placement, but I would like to know what you're using to create your diagrams... as many others have noted, they're very nice!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would rotate everything 90 degrees clockwise as well, and see how that would work out for you. That would still not solve the 7.1 problem though: You'd have a good way to place the 5.1 setup, but not the rears in the 7.1 setup. Could you potentially hang them from the ceiling with a nice mount?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I will try the 90 clockwise rearrangement. I'm not sure how ceiling mounted speakers will work on the vaulted ceilings but I will consider that option after the rearrangement.

My diagrams are not to scale since I threw them together quickly. I was just looking to show the general layout. I used a free account with floorplanner.com. Its infinitely faster than programs like AutoCAD. Floorplanner.com even does 3D rendering.

Hopefully this helps others with their layout examples.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Oh, now you're just showing off!

I do have a question about the object on the angled wall segment where the room narrows. It's shown on the overhead, but not on the 3D views. There does appear to be a small cutout on the backside of the wall there, though. What does that represent? I had assumed it was a window, until you posted the 3D views. It's not a fireplace is it? That could cause problems for rotating everything to the right, as we suggested.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts