AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently moved into a new house and had a lot of wiring run during construction. It is mostly Cat5 wiring.

I am now at the point of setting up my system and would like some advice on what hardware I need and how you would recommend wiring this system up. I am leaning strongly towards Sonos but would welcome any and all suggestions.

Basically, I have in-ceiling speakers in 6 locations which will end up being 4 zones. Each of the 6 locations has a volume control on the wall in that room which all run back to my home theater base location in the family room. The speakers themselves are wired back to my distribution box, which is located in the laundry room.

I'm thinking of a Sono ZP90 connected directly to my PC and then Cat-5 connected to my Home Theatre system before running into a speaker selector at the HT location wired directly to the volume controls in each room. However, I feel like I'm leaving something out (the connections at the distribution box?)

Sorry the long, hopefully not too vague question. I'm new to this and am probably over-thinking it. I will really appreciate your comments on how YOU

would get this up and running.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are you using rotary volume controls or some type of keypad system? What type of wire is at each volume control location?

I'm asking because it sounds like you have cat5 pulled from each volume control to one location, while the 16/2 or 16/4 goes from the speakers goes to a different location without going near the volume controls at all. Is that right?

The speaker selector needs to connect the speaker level output of your amplifier to the speakers--all using 16/4 wiring or similar. So it sounds the logical place for the speaker selector to go would be in the distribution box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks petern.

The volume controls on the wall are rotary knobs. To my novice eye, they appear to be 16-4 (red,black,white,green) and all run back to the home theatre location in the family room as a big bundle individually labeled as the room names (and factory marked "16-4")

The Cat-5 wiring...I'm guessing...runs from the actual speakers themselves back to the distribution box in the laundry room as those bundles of Cat-5 wires are also labeled with the room names.

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That would make no sense. It's more likely those cat5 in the distribution box are for phone and internet at another location in those same rooms.

If this was a standard package from the builder and not something you requested then that is most assuredly what they are.

**I'm thinking of a Sono ZP90 connected directly to my PC and then Cat-5 connected to my Home Theatre system before running into a speaker selector at the HT location wired directly to the volume controls in each room. However, I feel like I'm leaving something out (the connections at the distribution box?)**

This is wrong . The zp90 connects to the network, not directly to your pc. Your pc as well will connect to the network. The zp90 wil talk to your pc (pull music) through the network. The zp90 will need to connect to an amp with its rca jacks and your speakers will connect to the amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techphil /forum/post/19523054

That would make no sense. It's more likely those cat5 in the distribution box are for phone and internet at another location in those same rooms.

If this was a standard package from the builder and not something you requested then that is most assuredly what they are.

**I'm thinking of a Sono ZP90 connected directly to my PC and then Cat-5 connected to my Home Theatre system before running into a speaker selector at the HT location wired directly to the volume controls in each room. However, I feel like I'm leaving something out (the connections at the distribution box?)**

This is wrong . The zp90 connects to the network, not directly to your pc. Your pc as well will connect to the network. The zp90 wil talk to your pc (pull music) through the network. The zp90 will need to connect to an amp with its rca jacks and your speakers will connect to the amp.

Thank you! The "duh" light bulb just went off in my head! I was trying to understand why the volume controls went in one direction and the "cat 5" another.....I was overanalyzing it. I'm sure you are right about the distribution box cat-5 wires being for phone and internet in those same rooms.....

Connection-wise: ZP90 would connect to my router and then connect to my amp. The amp will connect to a speaker selector connecting to the 16-4's running to the volume controls in each room....this sound right now?

If so, one follow-up question to the ZP90 connection to the amp. What is the most common connection method for this connect if they are not both in the same physical location?....or must they be?

Thanks again for helping me get this straight in my head.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The zp90 needs to be at the amp. You will also need an network connection at this location as well. The zp90's can talk wirelessly to each other but you need at least one to be hardwired ethernet. If you only have one then it needs to be plugged in.

So you would have a zp90 with ethernet plugged in at the home theater location. Rca jack out of that to some kind of amp. You would not need a speaker selector if you have volume controls, just keep the rooms you don't want to hear turned down. This is all assuming you want the same music in all zones. For more advanced multi room you would need more then one zp90 and a multi channel amp.

If you do not have a cat5 for network at the home theater location things become more comlicated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Techphil.

I DO have a Cat5 network connection at the home theatre location. You have really helped clear this up for me. I should be good to go now.....

Thank you very much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.