AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post

Some background: I watch hd ota TV on my 42 inch plasma panny. I don't have cable/satelite tv, only an hd antenna. My current pc is a couple of years old and when I replace it I want to have everything setup together.

The pc: My goal is to have a pc that can take in the broadcast from the hd antenna and output it to the tv. In addition, the pc would be able to act like a tivo by being able to record live tv, pause it etc. I'm looking at getting the upcoming ati hd2400 video card to be able to handle the hd video.

So by having everything like this, I would be able to watch tv through the htpc and control it with a remote. When i would want to record something, it would go onto the hard drive of the pc.

[A] I have looked at some of the PC PVR cards but I'm not sure if they are only intended for going from antenna to pc, not antenna to pc to tv (the way I would like it)

If you have one antenna, but get a card that has dual tuners, can you record one channel and watch another or do you need two antennas?

[C] Any program that would help me with this setup, ie. a program guide for ota channels for scheduling recordings (if this is possible)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning on either getting a bluray or hd dvd drive, possibly an external hddvd drive.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, if you are going to want it as a gaming and entertainment PC, I am pretty loyal to the NVidia brand..

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320. With an Intel C2D e6600.

I have this setup and just watched "The Matrix" without one hiccup.

If you're not, get the 8500-8600 and an e4300

The e4300 will get you by with the 85-8600 but, if you plan to game, that's not that card for you. Also, the e6600 is a highly overclockable chip and you can get it running at 3.15GHz without a problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A- I don't know of any ATSC tuner cards that also have video output, but the hd2400 would certainly have the horsepower for HD output. A separate video card with DVI to DVI, or DVI to HDMI is the way to go. I have a Dvico FusionHDTV5 RT Gold PCI tuner that works very well with Vista Media Center, and is good at pulling in weak signals. The Dvico card has a single ATSC tuner and if buying today, I would seriously be considering HDHomeRun for the network support and the dual tuners.

B- With only a single tuner, I need to switch from the PC on Input-1 to the Antenna input in the TV to watch live while the PC records. Go with two antennas or an amplified antenna if a splitter reduces your signal strength too much.

C- All of the DVR programs have access to an on-line program guide. Most are free, but you will need broadband. Dial-up will not work.

Don't forget a large hard drive. I have a 400 GB drive and it will only store a little more then 45 hours of HD content.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could someone please explain how HDHomeRun would be integrated in my setup if I have two antennas?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcza /forum/post/0

Could someone please explain how HDHomeRun would be integrated in my setup if I have two antennas?

You can connect an antenna to each input or you can use a single antenna with a splitter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Every time you split the signal you lose about 3 to 5 db of signal strength. Since OTA signal strength can be weak to start with, it could mean the difference between reception and no reception. Obviously two antennas would be the preferred option except my wife would kill me if I tried to put TWO on the roof! Another option is to get a bigger antenna and/or an inline amplifier. When installing an amplifier, make sure it is as close to the antenna as possible. You want to amplify the signal, not the signal plus the noise in the cable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts