AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched FAQs but did not find what I am looking for.

I want to switch from digital cable TV to Direct TV to get HDTV (HBO, CBS, Mark Cuban TV). What is the basic set-up that I will need to do so. Need to know what dish, what reciever(s), and the proper wiring scheme for two HDTVs and two additional analog TVs. Ease of use is most important. Budget is $1000-2000.

Also, can I get CBS HDTV via the dish or do I need an external antenna to pick up OTA??

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Okay, to get hdtv with directv you need to get an elliptical dish and a hd directv receiver. To get cbs you need an antenna. You can get the hughes hd receiver and dish at www.**************.com for $629. you can get a great deal at www.videoonly.com (i believe) for the toshiba hd box for $450 (they don't do online orders so you'll have to call).

Now for the 2 analog tvs you need either 2 more receivers or just use the existing hd receivers for them. (however you can not watch 2 seperate channels with one receiver.) These 2 can be picked up at circut city for a great deal with the $400 in programing. (again im not positive.) So, with proper wiring you fulfill all your needs in less than $2000. Hopes this helps.

PS- I didn't want to mention that you can get CBS-HD on Dish Networks if you qualify but it will be very complex, so i didn't want to confuse the heck out of my post. (much less myself!)

------------------
Mitsubishi WS-55805

2 RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

Technics SA-DX940

Sony Playstation 2
s>

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now my question is, how do I wire it.

I will have two HDTVs - Do I need two receivers to watch two different things?

How many wires will run from the elliptical dish to each receiver? How do I split the signal from the dish to the two receivers?

The two analog TVs - How do I get a feed from the elliptical dish to the analog TV receivers - which cables and how many to each? How do I split the wires for all four TVs?

Does anyone have a diagram for this?

Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Your elliptical dish will have two dual LNB's. The four lines from these LNBs go into a multiswitch (this can be mounted near the dish). The multiswitch has four leads coming out (you can get one that has 8 leads coming out). You must run one coax (RG6) from the multiswitch to each TV/receiver that you have.

So, you will need a DirecTV receiver for each TV on which you want to watch DirecTV. These must be HD receivers for the HDTV sets (or else you won't get HD).

The elliptical dish usually comes with the necessary 4x4 (4 in, 4 out) multiswitch. Also, you'll need an antenna feed for the over-the-air (OTA) antenna to go to your HD receivers to get OTA digital TV.

Code:
Code:
MMM-----Rec 1
DLNB101===MMM----------Rec 2
DLNB119===MMM-----Rec 3
          MMM----------Rec 4
f>

DLNB101=dual LNB from the 101 sat position on the elliptical dish.

DLNB119=dual LNB from the 119 sat position on the elliptical dish.

M=multiswitch.

Rec=DirecTV receiver (can be HD or non-HD)

------------------

-Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonATL (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

I will have two HDTVs - Do I need two receivers to watch two different things?
Yes, assuming you want to watch 2 different HD programs.

Quote:

How many wires will run from the elliptical dish to each receiver? How do I split the signal from the dish to the two receivers?
One wire per receiver. You'll need a dual-lnb multi-switch - the standard 4x4 will output to four receivers.

Quote:
The two analog TVs - How do I get a feed from the elliptical dish to the analog TV receivers - which cables and how many to each? How do I split the wires for all four TVs?
You don't split the wires - you run an individual wire (RJ6!) from the multiswitch (which is usually at the dish) to each receiver.

Quote:
Does anyone have a diagram for this?
It's not complicated enough for a diagram. One eliptical dish (2 LNBs). One multi-switch at dish. 4 wires - one per receiver.

If you DO NOT get locals off your sat, then you will need an OA antenna to pick up locals. Most receivers have an OTA input as well, so you'll need an extra line from the antenna, and at some point you will want to split it and send it to your receivers, OR get some diplexors and combine it with your satellite runs from the multiswitch.

Suggestion:

Do you REALLY need all 4 sets each with their own receiver? Until I picked up my first HD receiver recently, I had ONE satellite receiver that I used throughout the house using a modulator and some IR control blocks. But it's only me and my wife, and she doesn't watch as much TV as I do so there hasn't been a conflict. I also use a stand-alone Tivo to record locals off basic cable, modulated to all TVs as well. Going the modulator route may be another option for you (and could be cheaper in the long-run than having 4 receivers).

[This message has been edited by Stele (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Video,

You may also do what I did, if you act quickly. You can go to Blockbuster and ask for the $9.99 DirecTV deal, but specify that you want the Para Todos package (This gives you the eliptical dish that you will need for HDNet, etc.). The reason you need to act quick is I believe this offer expires on or about Oct. 14th. This gives you the basic set up with NO CONTINUING CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION to DirecTV.

When the installer arrives, you can speak to him about wiring the system for your additional TV's. This will be an additional charge, but usually is a reasonable cost. Once set up the installer will have you speak with a DirecTV CSR. Just tell them you DONT want the Spanish programming, and just order the service you do want.

You will now be set with just the basic system. To obtain an HDTV receiver I suggest you call Video Only (search the messages here for info) and speak with John Holmes. As Ragedogg mentioned, they will sell and ship a Toshiba DST-3000 receiver for $449 plus $20 shipping.

Once you have the HDTV receiver you can install that and move the basic Hughes box you received in the install to one of your non-HDTV sets. Be sure to call DirecTV and let them know your activating a new box (it's a $4.99 charge for each additional one activated). Since you have two HDTV sets and two non-HDTV sets you'll need to purchase the respective additional receivers for them as well.

Finally, you will need to have an antenna to receive over the air broadcasts in HD from any available local stations. If you search the board here you can find info on how to determine who is broadcasting HD in your area, as well as info on the type of antenna you may need in your locality. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. I guarantee you'll love HDTV, now if we could just gets some NFL in HD!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.