Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Mitsubishi 65907, which was suppose to arrive today, but they delivered the wrong one . I am currently a Dish Network subscriber with two JVC D-VHS Satellite Receivers (5000 receivers) and have the Dish 500. I am trying to decide what would be the cheapest way for me to set the system up for receiving both HD satellite signals and over the air broadcast HD signals. So far it sounds like the best bet would be to purchase a Dish 6000 receiver and an 8VSB Tuner Cartridge. I would also need an antenna for the local HD broadcast (BTW, I live in the Phoenix area). I already have a second satellite receiving dish, so all I would need there is a multi-dish switch. If I were to use my current JVC D-VHS Satellite Receiver, then it would require the HDTV Adapter ($300). I would then still need a decoder box, so this sounds like a more expensive way to go.

With that all said, can someone now tell me if this is the best way to go, or is there a better and cheaper way to do this? I have not look at any of the stand-alone decoders, but from what I have been reading they are expensive.

Thank's in advance for any and all help anyone might be able to provide.

Best Regards,

Don

------------------

The Stars Come Out

Vintage Movie Posters: 1940's - 1990's

We Buy and Sell Movie Posters

Email: [email protected] http://www.starscomeout.com

NEW!! Visit Our Movie Poster Talk Forum

Fax: (623) 934-3509

---------------------------------------------------

Please help to protect our environment by recycling. The environment is

our future!

[This message has been edited by starscomeout (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts
Don:

I'll give you my $.02 worth, based on my own experience and knowledge. Others will undoubtedly have other opinions.

You have two Dish 5000 recievers now? Are you going to need HD at two different tv's in your house or just the one?

In general, if the tuner cartridge for the 5000 costs $300, I'd suggest it may be better in the long run to upgrade to the 6000 reciever. It's designed specifically for HD, and the 8VSB module is only something like $130 at dishdepot.com. You could still use the 5000 at a viewing location that doesn't require HD. Obviously, you would need an OTA antenna to get local HD broadcasts. Then just point your Dish 500 to the 119/110 satellites and your other dish to the 148 bird and you've got HD and core programming (I'm assuming that in your neck of the woods it would be 148. Out here in the East, I point to 61.5)

I had DirecTV before, but decided to just switch to Dish and get the HD decoder built-in. It was much less expensive for me than to get a stand-alone STB. I'm sure there are some features that some stand-alone STB's have that aren't available with the 8vsb module and the Dish 6000 receiver. But for what I need, it works great. The fewer pieces of hardware I have to connect and find space for, the better (as far as my wife is concerned)

Let us know what you finally decide to do. I've been quite happy with my Dish 6000 w/8vsb and rooftop antenna. If there's an HD signal nearby, I'm getting it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.