AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this set at Best Buy in Dec. 2007 with extended warranty. EVERYTHING perfect from then til early July when I lost the Red LED. The local TV repair handling the warranty ordered the part and then insisted (against my wishes) they had to take the set to their shop for the repair. Bottom line... set is back but now the picture geometry has shifted. From left to right (as you view the screen) I measure a half inch drop. The local repair guy took it back to the shop, returned it today and the drop is now 3/8of an inch. Said that was the best he could do. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Samsung factory specs says that the bottom tilt can be off by up to 8mm, which is like 5/16in. Your 3/8in is 9.5mm, so it is very close and could have been within specs at the shop but the move took it out the extra 1.5mm. Ask yourself if 1.5mm is enough to make a case over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Hammerdwn, for the reply. I just figured out the solution and no longer have any slanting or tilting and the set is back to normal with the expected beautiful picture. With regard to the factory tolerance specs you cite, I'll say this... an 8 mm shift left to right would have exceeded my tolerance level at the get-go. Had this set displayed anything near 8 mm from left to right at the time of my purchase, I would have returned the set to the store and shopped for a different brand. I fully expect a level picture in a TV set. Anyway, as I mentioned, problem is now resolved and I'm a happy camper again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure. After I posted this morning, I received a call-back from the TV guy telling me he wanted to try one more time to fix this issue. I accepted his offer and he was scheduled to return next Wednesday.

The short answer is the TV was not perfectly level. The longer answer is this: This TV fully fills the niche I have for the set. To enable rear connections to be made, I have a 24 inch stool that allows me to turn the set 90 degrees with one end of the set extending into my living room supported by the stool and the other end still on the 24 inch tall cabinet support within the niche. When the repair guy returned the set, he placed it on this stool-niche set-up and we hooked up the connections and viewed the set in this 90 degree orientation and of course we both immediately saw the skew or tilt or whatever it should be termed. After I posted here, I got to wondering if placing the set back to its normal viewing position might matter and the results show it did. I think the stool sitting on a carpeted area resulted in the set being slightly off of perfectly level. Neither the repair guy or I thought to check for levelness as the set appeared fairly level in that position. So, Wednesday appointment canceled, the repair guy is as happy as I am. So, as Emily Litella would say... "Never Mind".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts