AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was recently gifted a brand new Samsung UN55FH6003 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED TV. I just learned that it does not come with a digital output, so I need to figure out a way to connect my receiver to the TV. 

I've read of two potential options:

1. Connect using the TOSlink on the TV to a Coaxial switch? 

2. Use an HDMI splitter with audio output to connect to the receiver.

A few questions:

1. Are these options feasible?

2. What is the best option for quality sound?  

3. Will I need to connect two separate HDMI cables from the TV to my receiver? (One for video, one for audio?)

I have a Denon AVR-1913 receiver.

Thanks in advance!

Minh

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntmi  /t/1503208/need-advice-on-how-to-connect-receiver-to-tv-with-no-digital-output#post_24022964

I was recently gifted a brand new Samsung UN55FH6003 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED TV. I just learned that it does not come with a digital output, so I need to figure out a way to connect my receiver to the TV. 

I've read of two potential options:

1. Connect using the TOSlink on the TV to a Coaxial switch? 

2. Use an HDMI splitter with audio output to connect to the receiver.

A few questions:

1. Are these options feasible?

2. What is the best option for quality sound?  

3. Will I need to connect two separate HDMI cables from the TV to my receiver? (One for video, one for audio?)

I have a Denon AVR-1913 receiver.

Thanks in advance!

The usual approach is to use the AVR to control the TV. The video goes from the HDMI source to the AVR to the TV. The AVR picks off the sound up from the HDMI signal as it passes through it.

Plan B is to do as you suggest, which is to route the Toslink on the TV to the AVR.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
I am confused. TVs don't have optical inputs. So, if your set has a Toslink connector, it is almost certainly a digital audio output.

Meanwhile, as arnyk posted, the usual approach is to connect all of your devices to the receiver and then feed video from the AVR to the TV over a single HDMI cable. Will that not work for you? What are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm confused as well. The Toslink port is almost certainly a digital output. That can be converted to coax S/PDIF if necessary with an inexpensive adapter box.

If the TV and receiver support HDMI audio return channel (ARC), that's another digital audio output. Even without ARC, some HDMI switches offer a S/PDIF audio out.

The big question is what's the video source? The TV's tuner? Some unnamed source plugged into the receiver? It's not at all clear how the signal is supposed to flow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts