AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a new Samsung HL-R6178 HD DLP set, so I've got a few weeks to figure out a few things. I'd like some help and/or advice from you guys on the following few questions if possible:

1 - My 'cut-out' for the set is 63.5"W x 53" H x 24" D. The set itself is about 57"W x 42"H x 16.5"D. I can't seem to locate a prebuilt stand to fit my needs, so I'm planning on 'building' a single-row stand out of wood for the set to sit on that will accommodate my AVR/HDTivo/DVD/X-box beneath it.

I'm thinking the wood stand will be 10" H x 63"w x ??"D. Anyone have any advice/recs on what to do & NOT to do based on the size of my 'cut-out' and size of the HL-R6178? Is making the stand as tall as possible the best idea to leave as much space for air-flow above the AVR the best plan?

2 - I've purchased two pairs of SpeakerCraft AIM8 Fives so far for use in my Family Room's 5.1 set up. I've only installed the front three as I'm waiting for either a deal on a single AIM8 Five, or possibly just sell my extra AIM8 Five and get a pair of cheaper AIM8 Threes for the rear-surround. My question is about placement of the rear two ceiling speakers. Should I place them exactly in line with the front left and right, further apart, closer together? I've read that THX prefers as close together for rears as possible, but other technology says farther apart. Also, I'm sold on an SVS sub for my new HT. Which one makes sense based on my room size and 12' ceilings? I plan on putting the powered sub behind the sofa since there is a floor outlet located under the sofa and a 'sub' jack the the wall with the sliding glass doors. Perhaps flat cable under the carpet to the sub?

Here is a link to my Family room layout for some point of reference. The TV will be in the cut-out next to the fireplace, and the sofa is about 5 feet from the back wall.

Home floorplan Just click on the Wakefield II floorplan to see what I mean.

3 - I'm probably going to upgrade my AVR to a Pioneer Elite multi-zone(56txi or 74txvi) so that I can push sound to my Family Room 5.1, outside patio, and Master bedroom. The patio and master bedroom is pre-wired with impedance matching volume controls and the inputs for all connections are in that same 'cut-out' where the TV is going. I've gone ahead an purchased a Dayton Audio 10-way distribution panel. A bit overkill, but it was the easiest thing I could find to share a single rca-in stereo source with the patio and master bedroom simultaneously. No amps being used here.. just whatever the Elite can provide.

Any advice/comments about this configuration?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Double BUMP

Any help here is appreciated.

Let's narrow it down to questions 2 & 3 as I've already moved past question 1. :rolleyes:

Here's a better link to the floorplan:
Floorplan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.