AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide me with some advice regarding Klipsch Reference Series speakers vs BIC Acoustech speakers? The Acoustech speakers are about half the price of the Klipsch but how is the quality? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwk1
Can anyone provide me with some advice regarding Klipsch Reference Series speakers vs BIC Acoustech speakers? The Acoustech speakers are about half the price of the Klipsch but how is the quality? Thanks.
The Klipsch Reference series are an all around better setup - at an added expense. The Acoustech speakers by BIC are a sub $1000 set primarily for HT. They compare to Klipsch's entry level series. The Acoustech towers don't sport much bass, but the 12" HT-100 sub which was partially engineered by Dr. Hsu makes up for it. The Acoustech center channel is probably one of the better center channels on the market. This series doesn't suffer from the Venturi line of muddiness, and requires no mod by Mr. Ed Frias.

If you like the sound of horns (a little more in your face), and have a

If budget is not an issue (at twice the price), and you listen to two channel music - specifically rock and not classical or jazz, I'd recommend the Klipsch Reference. Both sets are extremely sensitive, and require only a modest receiver to push them to reference levels. Check out Ubid for some great deals if you're leaning towards the Acoustechs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I bought the Bic Acoustechs and a Denon 2805 receiver. Hoping they work well together.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwk1
Thanks for the input. I bought the Bic Acoustechs and a Denon 2805 receiver. Hoping they work well together.
Congratulations. If your Acoustechs are new out of the box they might require significant time for break-in before they sound decent. Mine were initially very muffled bass-wise and harsh on highs. They unmuffled significantly after a couple of hours and the highs began smoothing out after around 20 hours and continued to smooth out noticably for another 20 hours or so. Other people have said that theirs sounded fine straight away, so I don't know if some are getting units that have been returned previously after some use, or they have tin ears, or possibly BIC started to more completely break them in before shipping - I got mine from a fairly early batch that went to Costco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.