AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My situation is as follows: I have an X1 Ceiling mounted projecting onto a 96" 16:9 Carada ~15'-16' away. The room has "off white" walls and lots of ambient light during daylight hours due to the room being open to the downstairs and a couple of windows at the second story level (just to make things worse).

Now.. at night, I don't really have any issues as long as the family turns off the lamps in the downstairs living room.. I pretty much have "dark" conditions... BUT... during the day, I cannot use my X1 at all due to light.

What I'm considering, is putting a track on the ceiling and hanging a black curtain of some kind on the track. I'm not really considering using any mechanical retracting devices, etc since I'm wanting to stay with my theme of "cheap as possible... and acceptable to the wifey-poo"... so...

If anyone has constructed anything similar to this, I'd love to hear about it and see some pics. I can take a few pics of my room and post them if it would help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
They make this fabric called blackout cloth. I would use that, but since it's usually white, or off white, I would suggest that you also have your wife pick out a second cloth that she approves of and get them sown together. I don't know how expensive it will be or if it will even be cheaper than buying pre-made curtains, but it's worth checking out. I plan on doing something similar to this one I get my basement (bi-level house with lots of windows on the bottom floor) finished off.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yes, blackout cloth is your answer. To darken a room, your curtains do not necessarily need to be black in colour.

We darkened a child's room, with white blackout material sewn to a nice material. The blackout material goes on the window side.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did the same thing as JPinto except I didn't use the blackout cloth. There was some navy material that was on sale and looked better to the girlfriend, so I went with that. It works great.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If you want really cheap, here's what I did: I had a hallway to block and since I have cathedral ceilings, I had to cover a very tall area. I used felt from Wal Mart and covered over the opening from the ceiling down to about 6 1/2 feet then I put up a curtain bar and painted it to match my walls then hung 2 pieces of felt with curtain loops to make the "door". When I close the felt, it is very dark in the room and I have tons of sunshine that pours in from the kitchen window. It made a very effective light blocking device and still allows the room to breath.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.