AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope those of you with much more hdtv buying experience can help/advise me.

I ordered a Samsung HLN617W from Fry's Electronics on Sep 4 since they did not have one in stock. They assured me they could get one in 2 weeks and scheduled delivery for Sep 20. I called several times the week before delivery to ensure they had gotten the set. On the morning of the scheduled delivery, I called and discovered it had not arrived. The sales manager was very confident it would arrive on Monday, Sep 22 and offered to deliver the floor model for me to use until my set arrived. Since I really wanted to see the football games that weekend, I accepted. When I called the store the following Monday evening, I was told they received the set but that it was damaged. I talked to my sales rep a few times last week, and each time he could not give me a new target delivery date. He was supposed to call me today with a definitive answer from his (Fry's) buyer.

My first concern is that I am coming up on 30 days from my original purchase date and that the floor model was delivered to me. Although the sales rep has assured me they will get me a new set, I am worried that I might be told next week (after the 30 days) that they have "delivered" my set (the floor model/loaner) and that I am unable to return it since the 30 days is up. Am I just being paranoid? I have purchased quite a bit from Fry's but never anything over $200 before.

Second, I called Magnolia HiFi last week and was told they have the 617 in stock. Should I have a little more patience with Fry's? Or should I take my receipt to Magnolia to see if they will match the price? If I do go to Magnolia, I have to deal with making the return to Fry's.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would return the unit to Fry's and buy from Magnolia in a hearbeat. Magnolia Hi-Fi shouldn't have a problem pricematching the price you got from Fry's and you won't have to deal with the waiting.

It seems you've been fairly patient with Fry's, especially since your first set got damaged in their care :confused: . I wouldn't see any real problem with doing any type of return w/ Fry's since you've never actually taken delievery of the product.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you decide to stick with Fry's you might try getting the 30-day waiver for the floor model in writing instead of just verbally.

Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am going to ask Fry's for an incentive to wait and for everything in writing. If not, I'll go to Magnolia.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NikePenguin
Second, I called Magnolia HiFi last week and was told they have the 617 in stock. Should I have a little more patience with Fry's? Or should I take my receipt to Magnolia to see if they will match the price? If I do go to Magnolia, I have to deal with making the return to Fry's.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Go to the Santa Clara Magnolia and talk to the manager (Will). Tell him that we set you. :D

Fry's is trouble at every level except refunding your money.

If you have any kind of problem Will will work with you personally. If you are too far away from the Santa Clara store he will probably call the store of your choice and get you a good price.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would trade it back to them. They have been screwing with you. No reason for you to buy it from them if they have been messing with you like this especially when someone else has a set already to go.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Simple.

Tell them that you've found another retailer that has it in stock and since they're unable to deliver yours, they should come by and pick up the floor model.

Bet they find you one. Most these places will do whatever is necessary to not loose a sale.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Fry's return policy has been unconditional on everything I have bought there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.