AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed my selection down to 3 PJ............which by the way all 3 of these come with a 106 inch screen....GREYWOLF with 1.8 gain......the PJ's are #1 Infocus 4805...at 480p resolution..2000/1 contrast....#2 Optoma dv10...at 480p resolution...4000/1 contrast........#3 NEC LT180..at 720p...with i think 2000/1 contrast...........I will be sitting 14 feet away from screen........and will watch mostly dvds and occasionally some HDprogramming.....Ive read alot of positive things about the 4805 but have heard next to nothing about the other two.......any help on picture quality and stuff would be greatly appreciated! thanks for taking time and looking at my thread!

·
Registered
338 Posts
The 4805 is nice. I'd ditch the DV10 unless you don't mind coffetabling...it will NOT mount on the ceiling. The NEC isn't bad, but it's not in the same category. More of a presentation pj I think.

Look at the Optoma H31 too. It goes head to head with the InFocus. I think those two would be your winners...but if you're sold on the free screen, then the 4805 is the big winner.

·
Banned
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks tommy.........the free 106" screen comes with it ....but i have to purchase it at SHOPATHOMETV.........the total price is around $1,300..............But i'm leaning toward purchasing one at my loacal Circuit City...........to see it first with my eyes .............I noticed that the NEC LT180 was 720p.with component in ............would the picture not be as good as the 4805.....I have seen TRUE HDTV OTA and it looks great on my 65h82........with my newbienous in the PJ world ..................it would seem to me that the LT 180 would have a better picture and less flickering??is this not so.....the reason i ask was they have it at SHOPATHOMETv for $1199.00 with 100" screen?just curious Tommy...thats why Im asking so many ????I dont want to make the wrong decision and have to send the PJ and screen back.....................

·
Banned
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK..................OK..................Just read that the contrast ratio of the for the NEC LT180 is 1000/1........now i see were it could be more of a presentation PJ.............anymore info on PJ's would be apprciated

·
Registered
297 Posts
DV10 does not appear to have HDMI/DVI input, so forget about the new formats coming out.

From the Optoma website:

I/O Connectors

Composite (RCA), D-sub 15 VGA(analog RGB/component/HDTV), S-Video, RS-232 communication, Stereo audio in, Stereo audio out, Optical audio out, AC power input

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are wanting to get into HD programming I would only consider getting one of the 720p units, plus they are going to be a little more 'future proof'.

I know it will run a little more $, but I think it would be worth it to spend just a little more and get into something llike the Panny700 or the Sanyo Z3.

In this day of ever increasing HD programming and with HdDVD on the horizon I would not put much of an investment into a 480p display.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i have the Panny ae700 but I've seen my friends 4805 a few times. Have to say, the 4805 is pretty darn good for $1000.00. It does have noticeable SDE at close range but at farther distance, its not very noticeable.

If you can afford the ae700 go for that, otherwise, the 4805 is a very close 2nd.

Regards

F.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.