AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving into a new condo at the end of the month, and am trying to figure out what I want to do with the living room area. The walls are pre-wired for surround sound so I'm thinking of selling my current speakers and getting bookshelves instead so I can wall mount them as well as my wall-mounting my plasma instead of using my current TV stand.

Here's some of the info to help considerations :

Pioneer 5010 plasma

Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver (average movie watching volume about -20)

SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer

Polk RTi10 fronts

Polk CSiA6 centre

Polk FXiA4 rears

living room open space = 20.5 x 12

I live in Canada so what I've looked at for a starting point is Axiom. The package of Millenia M22 fronts, VP150 centre, QS8 surrounds would be $1455 canadian shipped (about $1340 US). Price is important - I'd want to stay in the $1500-1800 cdn price range. As a comparison, I called a local speaker shop and their price for B&W 685's are $800/pair, and 686's are $600/pair.

I've attached a picture of the living space (although not a good picture because the unit is still being finished, but it's the only one I have) to give a better idea of the room.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, IMO as long as you don't mind a cherry or rosenut finish, personally i think the rosenut would look awesome with your hardwood floors, you could get a SWEET deal on an Energy setup.

2 pair of Energy RC-10's $600:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

1 Energy RC-LCR center $300:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

The RC-10's are capable down to about 50hz, which means you could crossover in your receiver at 60hz or 80hz, which is ideal.

Shipping should be free, so it puts you out the door at $900 ish. You could use the rest of the money for mounts, or a second sub, etc.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/16990150

Why not look at some other speakers besides the Axioms? Like Energy Take classics? Or some Jamo speakers?

Oh I probably wasn't clear about this, I just used the Axiom's as a starting point - I am interested in all suggestions and brands though.

Also, Hrimnir, I checked out that site, they don't ship to Canada - and to compare the Energy RC-LCR is $750 at a local store here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any other ideas or any opinions on axioms?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt /forum/post/16989943

I called a local speaker shop and their price for B&W 685's are $800/pair, and 686's are $600/pair.

My local high end store sells the 685s for US $650.

I've seen quite a few recommendations for the Energy RC-10's, but they are rear ported so wouldn't work well in a bookcase or wall-mounting. And for the price, 685's are only $50 more, at least here.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Give the axioms a try. I live in a remote part of canada and had no way to audition speakers. i read about axioms ,checked out their website and then went ahead and got them. From what i had read i wasnt too worried about shipping them back but that was an option,one i didnt end up using. I think once you have them you will agree they are worth every penny. If for some reason they dont suit your tastes you can always return them and axiom gets you a good rate on the return shipping. Go over to the axiom forum and ask some questions there about placement etc. I really like the qs4's they do surround like no other i have heard before,and the vp 100 center does excellent dialogue, which i use to have trouble with before.

Richard

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, Here's an update on the situation, I ended up finding a good deal on a pair of Focal 806V bookshelves and a matching Focal CC800V centre in a local store. The question I have now is - would it be best to keep the FXiA4's for the surrounds, get a matching Focal set for surrounds, or order a pair of Axiom QS8's for surrounds?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts