AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First time poster. A bit of a n00b so bear with me.

I just moved into a new house that happens to have speakers installed in the ceiling of the living room. There is also a subwoofer set into an alcove up high. I am attempting to include images but I don't know if it will work.

There are two Bose speakers, two other ceiling speakers whose make I do not know, and a subwoofer whose make I do not know.

In a different room there is a panel where all the speaker wire terminates. The connectors are RCA connectors but if you look at the back, there is speaker wire soldered to the RCA connectors.

This house was built in the mid-90s, and I think the speakers and wiring date from the late 90s. The pair of Bose speakers are the only ones for whom I have been able to identify a manufacturer. Also, both pairs of speakers work but I have not been able to confirm whether the subwoofer is still operational.

This is a green field in terms of what to connect to these speakers. I'm just looking for options at this point.

What I am unsure about is how to connect a receiver to the speakers, given the RCA input jacks on the panel. Is this as simple as removing the RCA panel, stripping the existing wire, and replacing it with a panel that allows for speaker wire connections from the receiver? Is there some kind of adapter from speaker wire to RCA?

As a final twist, the TV is in the room with the ceiling speakers and subwoofer, but the panel that connects them to your components is in a different room. Is there any way to get audio from the TV to a receiver wirelessly and then from the receiver to the speakers without serious lag or quality degradation?

Anyway, I hope all this made sense and if you have any ideas I would appreciate hearing them. This is a great place to visit and read and learn.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
How did you test to see that the speakers worked if you don't know how to hook them up? My guess is they used a proprietary connection with a Bose receiver. I had a HTIB that was setup this way years ago. Are you against replacing them? There are some much better options out there that would give you better sound without spending a fortune. At this point a Walmart HTIB might give those speakers a run for their money.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
What I am unsure about is how to connect a receiver to the speakers, given the RCA input jacks on the panel. Is this as simple as removing the RCA panel, stripping the existing wire, and replacing it with a panel that allows for speaker wire connections from the receiver?
Yes, it's just that simple. You'll want to ID the speakers at some point so you know what wires go where.
Is there some kind of adapter from speaker wire to RCA?
Not really, but you could make them. Though I probably wouldn't bother.
As a final twist, the TV is in the room with the ceiling speakers and subwoofer, but the panel that connects them to your components is in a different room. Is there any way to get audio from the TV to a receiver wirelessly and then from the receiver to the speakers without serious lag or quality degradation?
I've used this, works pretty well if the transmitter and receiver aren't too far away from each other. The transmitter looks like an iPod dock, but it also has an audio input. Latency wasn't a problem.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Wireless/D2-24-Bit-Wireless-DAC

BTW, there's nothing horribly proprietary about Bose in-wall speakers. Their HTIB systems are pretty weird though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you test to see that the speakers worked if you don't know how to hook them up? My guess is they used a proprietary connection with a Bose receiver. I had a HTIB that was setup this way years ago. Are you against replacing them? There are some much better options out there that would give you better sound without spending a fortune. At this point a Walmart HTIB might give those speakers a run for their money.
I used a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and just plugged an iPhone into the wall plate inputs. I got sound from the Bose but obviously it was very low volume given the source. I'm thinking with an amplified source they would be OK.

I'm not opposed to replacing any of the speakers at this point, but it would be nice to see if I can still take advantage of the wiring already in the home.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used this, works pretty well if the transmitter and receiver aren't too far away from each other. The transmitter looks like an iPod dock, but it also has an audio input. Latency wasn't a problem.
Thanks for the response. That wireless DAC looks promising. I had not seen that before.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Thanks for the response. That wireless DAC looks promising. I had not seen that before.
If you look around that site you'll find their mini amplifiers too. I've used them in whole-house distributed audio systems, one per room. They work pretty well, and the price is unbeatable. Grab a refurb if they have any and use it as a better test for your speakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts