AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my story, my "31 RCA with S-Video went bad, so I wanna replace it with something similiar and just as good if not better. I have returned 4 tv's now, first was a Toshiba 32a33 the colors sucked, green was p-green, red was pinkish-purple sometimes, and could not be adjusted. I got a "31 sanyo, screen had a major tilit, then a "27 samsung, major overscan, then the worst, a "27 sony wega the scanlines were HORRIBLE, I had never seen anything like it since the 80's. So im looking at Samsclub, they have JVC's out there, AV32F703 "32, and a AV27F704 "27.

Dont know anything about JVC, but I see they use Shadow Invar mask tubes,, is this a good / bad thing? what is the difference,, also Bestbuy has a Advent "27 HDTV on sale for $450, I know Advent is cheap, but has anyone tryed this out yet?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have looked closely at the Advent TV at Best Buy. I don't think you can beat it for the money.

It line doubles SD and presents it as 480P. This will improve all of you standard definition viewing.

It will scan 1080I, so you can watch HD with black bars at the top and bottom of the 4:3 screen.

It is cheap because it is assembled in the far east, but they use the same components that would be used if it was assembled in the US.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the Advent 27" from BB in August last year for about $10 more than mentioned above after I dropped my 6 year old 27"RCA while moving it. I use a Samsung T150 for OTA HD and just love the picture. Very sharp and the colors just pop off the screen. I have become a fan of Monday Night Football again after years of only watching when the Dolphins were on. ABC has been showing movies in HD on Monday nights lately so now I'm on that kick. The movies look really smooth in HD.

Heck, now I'll watch just about anything in HD as I get all the networks and PBS feeds OTA.

Most of the daytime hours are without HD just SD at 480p which has black bars on the sides but there's something on every night in 1080i or 720p which fills the entire screen with no black bars.

Cable channels are just OK from where I sit (too close at 4 - 5') and the darn thing always loses a couple cable channels when you reset it and do a channel search. Its like playing roulette, if one of your favorite channels is blanked then you search again and hope its one you can live without. Usually takes a couple tries.

The menu covers too much of the center of the screen when trying to make adjustments.

I think it's a great intro to HDTV for the price.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
having done some research for TVs in my price range, I have found that the Internet is FULL of reports of the ADVENTS POOR RELIABILITY. Just do a search on Advent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.