AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here, don't worry I'm not looking for a Bose system.

My question is regarding bookshelf speakers that I am planning to put IN a home theater entertainment center. These will not be free standing, but inside the entertainment center cabinet with a cloth grill covering the opening. I am worried if a rear ported speaker will produce an unusual sound since the rear will be closed as it is part of the cabinet.

Do you think I need to shop for a sealed accoustic suspension bookshelf speaker? The only thing I found was the Ascend HTM-200. My budget is anywhere up to $1200 total for the pair of bookshelf speakers and a center.

The system will have a powered sub, a polk PSW650.

I would love to hear any opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Check out nhthifi.com for in-furniture options. They get generally good marks here and address your issue directly. But I don't think $1200 will cut it unless you buy used. There were some M6s for sale here recently; 3 for

I have discussed this issue with Ascend directly. They recommended a L/C/R set up of 170SE/340SE/170SE and say the rear port is not an issue.

I have also discussed issue with AV123 directly. They recommend 3 XC-S center speakers, which are sealed, to minimize issues with rear ports.

No matter what your preference I would strongly suggest talking to the manufacturer directly about your situation. I focused on Ascend and AV123 because they get very high grades for customer service and seem very trustworthy. Interesting that they don't seem to agree, but then again maybe other factors that are beyond my modest comprehension may enter in to the equation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.