AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this in the sony 600 projector thread, but I figured I might get more feedback here.

I'd really like to go with a projector in here because of the larger screen size and ability to still go 4K....but is a projector just not going to work in this room?

Here's the particulars of my situation:

I'm very close to purchasing a Sony 600 projector but am still slightly hesitant because of ambient light issues. This would be my first projector. I'm looking at a 120" Firehawk G4 16:9 screen.

I've got an approx 950 sq ft game room (25 by 38 or so) that I use every day both at night and during the day.

My main uses, in order of importance:

1. Playing pool while watching Concerts (partial lights up over the pool table area)

2. Watching movies (all lights down)

3. Watching TV/Sports(partial lights up over the pool table area)

I included a day-time and night-time pic. In the second (night time) pic, you can see what I mean by partial lights up over the pool table area. It still seems fairly dark over the TV/projection screen area, so I assume I'll be fine at night even with partial lights up. (but correct be if I'm wrong there)

My main concern is during the day, trying to play pool and watch concerts. I'm going to put blackout blinds over all the windows but I'd prefer to not always have them all down. Do you guys think I'll be able to get away with only blacking out the first couple windows (by the TV/screen), or am I going to need to be prepared to always have all windows completely blacked out during the day?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You will need to be flexible, but won't need all windows blacked out during the day in certain scenarios. Most sports (football, basketball, baseball, golf) and some regular TV spend enough time showing bright colors that the ambient light won't be any real distraction. It's content with dark scenes that will be the most effected by the light. Only you can know what you are willing to live with.

I would suggest getting a real pool light. One that focuses the light on the table. It will help your TV watching and your pool game.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi Pbenda,

That Sony 600 looks sweet with the 200,000:1 contrast ratio. FWIW, we used to watch football on Sundays in a room very similiar to yours. The projector we had was an Infocus SP4805 which I think claimed about 750 lumens. The Sony 600 specs say it's about 1,700 so I think you'd be fine. Would the seller do an in home demo, or allow you a trial period with a test unit?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think you've got a valid concern that says..."If I spend 15K on a projector...I better darn well be happy with it." What is the seller's return policy? If it's not adequate...I'd buy from someone else.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
If you really want a great image with some light, then you will need to buy one of the specialty screens that are made to work in such an environment. From the look of the audio gear, you don't pinch Lincoln so make sure you do some research into screen like the SI Black Diamond, DNP SuperNova and other ambient light rejecting screens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts