AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a receiver for a home theater system that will go with 58" plasma tv. No clue about this stuff. Only need 5.1, but willing to get 7.1 if it's much better for the price. Looking to spend less than $400. Narrowed down to the following:

Pioneer VSX-819 $265

Pioneer VSX-919 $360

Onkyo TX-SR507 $320

Yamaha RX-V465 $300

Planning to hook up the following: HDMI, DVD player, Wii, 5.1 speakers. Any suggestions on my choices above, or any other choices for same price range? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could maybe swing the Onkyo 607. I've read that's a good one, but maybe a bit more than I need. Is that much better for the price I assume?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
From what Ive read, if you can get it for a good price, yea its worth it.. look away from the 819, the 919 seems very good as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was thinking the Pioneer 819 might be too cheap. I had it in my head that of those I listed, I was going with the 919, but like I said, I know nothing except what I've read online in the last week, so I'm not sure. Thanks for your input. Anyone else?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Just hooked up the 919 last weekend, and the sound is great. Setup is quite easy. And once you've configured the inputs properly, its very easy to use. The remote could have been designed in a better way, but it's not too bad.

A bit of advice, if you do go in for the 919, download the manual from the Pioneer support pages, and use itinstead of the book manual. Finding stuff is much easier in the pdf format, and the manual has many "links", linking one page to another. You would have to flip pages of the book, but its just a simple click with the pdf. And if you need any other help, there is always the Official Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread .

All the best choosing your receiver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts