Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been posting about replacing my NEC 42MP3.

Here's my problem.

American express is going to replace my unit under the buyers assurance plan. The one they are willing to provide me is the

NEC 42VP4

This one is the replacement to the 42MP3

I was hoping to get the NEC 42MX2

I have the option of taking the cash which would be $3179

I cannot find a better unit than the 42VP4 delivered for less than $3179 so if I took the cash, I would be forced to add to that in order to get a better unit. It appears that I would have to add probably another $1000 to get what I wanted. At that point, If I added $2K, I could almost get a 50" plasma.

What is everyone's opinion?

Should I just go with the 42VP4 and no out of pocket expense?

I paid about $4700 for my MP3 about 19 months ago and now this replacement has a value of less than $3200. I know prices have gone down but that is still depressing.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Think of it this way... if you were to try and sell your old plasma to buy a new one you would probably get a lot less than $3200.

If you feel the need, get a 50". You certainly have an idea now how a 50" would fit your room and lifestyle compared to the 42".

At the bare minimum add another $1000 and upgrade to an HD 42". (by the way there's a $200 rebate from NEC on the MX42 right now)

Lot's of new stuff coming out. Look at it as a fortunate opportunity.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In your predicament (such as it is), I wouldn't go with the 42MX2: I don't think 42" panels have enough real estate to exploit HD's benefits sufficiently. So...

1) Add the $2.nK and go with a 50"... bigger is always better (excluding WAF)

2) Take the cash, get the 42VP4 (it's a fabulous unit! Dell will price match, free ship) and use the extra cash to buy new speakers ;^)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.