AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Samsung PN58B860 Plasma last week and the buzzin is driving me crazy, I am far from picky but it is loud, got a replacement and it's even louder!

So here's my question, I want to exchange it for the new Samsung UB55C7000, any trade-offs that I need to think about?

Also I noticed the amazon price is almost $3k now, iirc last time I checked it was $2,500

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know if I'm in any position to give any advice because I really don't know all that much about HDTV, but I would say if your gonna pay 3k, and your not that interested in the 3D technology, I would probably go with the Samsung UN55B8500. Has full array led back lighting and was rated as the best LCD cnet has ever tested. The plasmas have better viewing angles and deeper blacks. But from the samsung plasmas buzzing to the Pannys black levels rising I would guess LED LCD is not a bad way to go.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
"The plasmas have better viewing angles and deeper blacks."

Let's be clear about one thing. Pioneer PDP's have deeper blacks. Samsung and Panasonic PDP blacks are not in the same league. The Samsung LED's (B8500/C7000) have deeper blacks than their PDP line. It's not even close. The B8500 has much deeper blacks than any B860. I owned a B860, and have seen multiple B860's in a totally dark room. Even the 2009 edge-lit LED's have deeper blacks than the Samsung PDP's, but there is a legitimate argument to be made that the quality of the blacks is inferior in many ways. The plasmas for example will show more stars on a starfield scene, and won't suffer from dimmed whites on movie credits, etc. You will be able to get better shadow detail on certain APL scenes and won't have to deal with annoying backlight fluctuations. But the blacks are not deeper on Samsung plasmas. The B8500 has deeper blacks than a Panny V10. The only plasmas with deeper blacks than the B8500 are the Pioneers.

·
Banned
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv_001 /forum/post/18275080

I don't know if I'm in any position to give any advice because I really don't know all that much about HDTV, but I would say if your gonna pay 3k, and your not that interested in the 3D technology, I would probably go with the Samsung UN55B8500. Has full array led back lighting and was rated as the best LCD cnet has ever tested. The plasmas have better viewing angles and deeper blacks. But from the samsung plasmas buzzing to the Pannys black levels rising I would guess LED LCD is not a bad way to go.

i agree with Nerv_001 "if your gonna pay 3k, and your not that interested in the 3D technology, I would probably go with the Samsung UN55B8500"

there is a thread i just read B series vs new C series http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233536

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just switched from a 46" panny to a UN55C7000WFXZA and I have to say it looks amazing. Less power consumption, colors look very very good. Deep blacks. One inch depth. At 55" feels lighter than my 46" plasma. There are only two things I immediately noticed. First, component input from my dish DVR does not looks as good as on the panny. I don't know if this is due to motion blur. HDMI from my HTPC blue ray looks stunning. Better than my other TV ever did. The second quirk I found is a very annoying one. The LED back lighting shows very bad uniformity. It is barely noticeable during standard full screen viewing. But when wide screen programming with black bars or very dark scenes is on, it is very distracting, especially at night with no ambient lights on. If you fiddle with the settings (brightness, contrast and back light) it may be controlled a little but this will not be solved by any other way than replacing the set, which I probably won't do because I have read reports of many others having the same issue. For me personally, the benefits outweigh its one glaring flaw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts